PDA

View Full Version : Heater choice??

Larry Grenier
07-13-2004, 01:05 PM
I know, boring question but I couldn't find the last time this was asked. I'm about to buy a few heaters and would like your opinions on whats reliable. I've historically used Ebo Jagers; should I stay with them?

Kap
07-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Mine work for me. I'd stay with them unless you want to experiment with a digital unit. In that case I'd put one of each in a tank and see how they fare.

brewmaster15
07-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Larry,
After years of formal research into the practical application of technological advanced heaters to consistently and safely heat aquarium water... it has been the findings of the Brewmaster Institute That sooner or latter they all fail miserably and its either a matter of time or a question of who's online the time the question is asked! :)

That said,,, Use 2 heaters instead of a larger one, and if you are paranoid like me.. tend to even use 2 different manufacturers.

Disclaimer...though it is not the policy of the Brewmaster Institute to recommend heaters, recent trends at our research facility shows a marked bias against ebos and in favor of visitherms. :)

Hth,
al

Larry Grenier
07-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Gosh, I'm so humbled ::)

Yes, I prefer 2 smaller heaters to one big one. Two thermomiters too. I fear a big one getting stuck in the on position and having a very expensive large pot of boiled discus stu! :P

Al fyi - never could get that cheap camera to work but I'm in no hurry since the pair are tending to another batch of fry ;)

Carol_Roberts
07-13-2004, 03:01 PM
I've had the best luck with Won Pro Titanium and Ebo.

lkleung007
07-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Larry,

I have tried many kinds of heaters in the past and currently use the following;

Ebo's-sometimes they just stop heating
Rena Cal-didn't like the temp dial and can over heat
Visitherm-couldn't heat past 88F
Via Aqua titanium-failed after only 2 months
Won Bros. titanium-working fairly well so far (6 months)
Hydor-works well with solid construction so far (Al and Jason can tell you more about these heaters)

HTH, Lester

brewmaster15
07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
No Prob Larry, let me know when they are between spawns ;)

-al

wildthing
07-13-2004, 10:10 PM
they all die miserably so I usually buy the cheapest....visitherms...
but I gave them all to Al...possibly affecting the recent opinion of the INSTITUTE ;D
for my ray pools I needed more power so I have multiple 500wt titaniums which I like a lot but were a bit pricey

Rod
07-13-2004, 10:33 PM
I've had good luck with the sicces.

April
07-14-2004, 01:58 AM
not sure we can get sicces in north america. i have a hydor. so far so good.
;D
visitherms heat good..but also fry and crack when i forget to unplug..and they go above the water level. smashed them all. ::)

NanDiscus
07-14-2004, 09:34 AM
I have two Ebo-Jagers, a 250W and a 200W, they're both old as the highway and work fine...
Had Sicce as well, the thermostat in it started acting up after about 3 months and now you can't regulate it. Good enough for heating prep. water though.

Jean
07-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Rena junk, Ebos make me nervous due to cooking fish,
visa therms ok, via aqua die way too early, new favorite Won Titaniums.
Bet my prices are better than the visa therms ;)

Jean ;D 8)

07-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Ebo is the best and the worse. Those were made prior 1998 will last forever. I will not touch any were made after that date.
I bought a truck load of Tronic by Hagan when the local fish store went bankrupt. All worked and are working perfectly fine underwater. Unfortunately the failsave thermostat is missing on that shippment and all are unable to turn itself off when dry. Crack at least 30 of them for the past 2 years. I still have a box full of them left. Can't complain for $5 a piece for a used heater.
Jimmy

Valik
07-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Ah so thats whats up with Ebo. I have 3 300 watt Ebo's that were handed down to me from my dad that he used back when he had Discus in the 80's when I was a wee little lad. That puts them at close to 20 years old and I have yet to ever have a problem with them(not actually in use the whole 20 years though). I figured since I have had such good luck with ebo I would keep using them, but if the new ones suck I'll have to switch over to something new. Thanks for the info.
Matt