PDA

View Full Version : Help! My discus are gasping for air!

ramblin101
07-13-2004, 01:07 PM
I fed my discus red wigglers yesterday, as I regularly do, and now my fish are at the top of the tank gasping for air and starting to flutter around. Thing is I fed my other fish tanks the same worms and they are all doing fine. What should I do? Change water? Salt them? I had them for a year now and they are beautiful but they are in trouble now...

Ed

ohh....i just lost one....

United21Soccer
07-13-2004, 01:10 PM
I would add an air stone if you think they are not breathing well. Also, adding salt wouldn't hurt, too...

Wolf_Mek
07-13-2004, 01:17 PM
All I can say is it sounds like some kind of poisoning. Check your water for ammonia and nitrite levels and do a water change. I would also add 2tblsp salt/10g.

HTH

ramblin101
07-13-2004, 01:36 PM
iodized salt? non-iodized salt? ....just lost 2 more

discuscraze
07-13-2004, 01:49 PM
non-iodized salt
aquarium salt

Carol_Roberts
07-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Add more air now by either putting in an airstone or lowering the water level so the water cascades in from the hang on the back filter. Is there chlorine in the tank? Did you perhaps do a water change and forget to add the dechlor product?

ramblin101
07-13-2004, 03:54 PM
I did a 70 percent water change and that seemed to help. I have one beautiful Red Marlboro thats still fluttering around and i'm praying will come around. The rest of the discus in the tank seem to be better and are not at the top of the tank. I usually put dechlorinator in my aged water but maybe I didn't put enough. The situation was definitely a shock and more so for my fish. I'll monitor for the next few days and let you all know what happen and thank you for all your quick responses.

Best,

Ed