PDA

View Full Version : corkboard

Condor
07-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Hey all,
I once saw an aquarium where corkboard was used as a background on the inside of the tank. The corkboard was probably about 1/2 an in. thick and plants such as java ferns, java moss, etc. were attached or sewn onto the cork. Wanted to try this but could never find the right sized piece for one reason or another. Has anybody tried this or any ideas like it?

Anonapersona
07-13-2004, 11:15 PM
I've heard from several folks who have done that. On Aquabotanic, I think. Or more likely Aquatic Plant Digest.

I picked up a pair of big coarse chunky brown boards at a garage sale for that purpose, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

NanDiscus
07-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Hi!
My tank also has corkboard as a background. It's only about 1/8" (3mm) thick and comes in rolls in various widths.

I covered three sides of the tank with it, hid the water intake and the hole on the back of the tank behind it and indeed, javamoss can attach to it very quickly.

As the cork soaks the water up it expands and will result in a nice, uneven surface.

Here's a temporary link to my site which is still under construction, but it's worth having a look:

http://www.lunaandalucia.com/nandiscus

Kinda' slow-loader, but it works.

Sindhu Lim
07-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Hi NanDisvus,
hmmmmm very interesting effect with the corkboard. Does the corkboard stain the water, as it looks like Blackwater.

Rgds
SIndhu

NanDiscus
07-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Hi Sindhu,

In the first couple of weeks the cork does give the water a red tinge, but it does not seem to hurt any animals in the tank.
After a few weeks with all the water changes the color should disappear...
HTH

NanDiscus

Cosmo
08-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Interesting.

Always used to use cork for a background on the outside of my tanks until they stopped making, or, I couldn't find the larger sheets that I always bought. Never thought of using it on the inside..

Cool idea

Anyone know if it causes any problems down the road?

Jim

oodi
08-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi Jim,

The last time I bought a roll of cork (for another project), I found it at the craft store. You might want to try looking there, if you haven't already.

Judi
:)