PDA

View Full Version : kribs?

peter_griffin
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Can kribensis be kept in a planted discus tank. I am having trouble finding any good additions to my tank. I can't find any good/healthy rams in my area and I don't like Keyholes very much. I read somewhere that they were peaceful and liked softer water that other African's any thoughts.

bikhu
07-21-2004, 10:30 PM
I used to keep kribs and although they liked softer water than the very high pH rift lake cichlids they still liked it relatively high.. I also found them to be pretty territorial... especially when breeding and setting up breeding area. At the same time let me say that I have never tried to keep them with Discus but my personal preference would be to stay with Amozonian species....
I know that Brew had some really nice glod rams and I believe that Cary (GLD) was raising blue rams. Also there are a lot of dwarf cichlids... APistos etc that you might check out... SimplyCichlid.com should have some swimming arouns. HTH
peter

peter_griffin
07-21-2004, 10:47 PM
thanks Peter and Happy belated B-day

Wolf_Mek
07-22-2004, 07:12 AM
I had kribs in with discus for a little while. The kribs are quite territorial and wouldn't let the discus down around the bottom (but would let the angels... go figure :) ).

Anyway, I don't know if they would bother adult discus, but they do juvenilles, so I think it would be a best to steer clear.

I would look more into apistos, rams, and others as already mentioned.

ChloroPhil
07-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I've had Kribs with discus and they've done just fine. Apistos would be better, but Kribs will do as a substitute.

I've bought apistos from Fishfarm a number of times and they've always done well. He ships across the country too.

Best,
Phil

peter_griffin
07-23-2004, 09:08 PM
I think I'll steer clear of them for the moment and just keep my eyes open for some good apistos or rams. I'm sure phishfarm has nice fish, but I only want one or two fish (not worth the shipping costs).