PDA

View Full Version : JULY 2004 SPOTLIGHT - North American Discus Association

Carol_Roberts
07-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Hi, my name is Carol Roberts and I'm here to talk to you about the North American Discus Association - NADA. This is a new club we are in the process of forming. It will be open to members worldwide, but our focus will be on hobbyists and events in the US and Canada.

Why have a club? What will a club do for me? These are two questions I hear frequently.

Why have a national club? To promote the hobby, encourage new members and support discus at fish shows. NADA can act as a governing body that oversees and supports discus related events in North America.

What will a club do for me? I've been looking around to see what other fish clubs on the national and local level provide. Most have a newsletter with articles and advertising. Many have a website, some hold shows and a few set standards for naming and judging their particular fish. Breeders and hobbyists can publicize that they are members of the association.

NADA could provide a roster of speakers for regional discus events and maintain a website to disseminate information on basic discus care. The association could act as a governing body to sponsor discus shows, accredit discus judges, and set judging standards.

We already have a few volunteers, but we'll need more. Chuck Russell from NY is working on the website. I've parked discusnada.com for a domain name. Chuck is asking for folks to help build the site. He is especially looking for people with a knowledge of computer graphics. We'll need photos, articles and a logo. I envision the website will have sections on basic discus care, links to advertisers and members sites, a members only area for NADA meetings and a calendar of upcoming discus events. No forums. I do not want to compete with the forums and I don't want the politics.

How would we have meetings - we're spread all over North America? Who wants to go to meetings anyway? I envision a "cyber" club with most meetings held online - just like chat - in the member's only area. We could post the minutes of the last meeting and conduct business online. It would be easier and save postage if voting could be done like polls in the member's only area. The board could start a poll for a particular motion, open voting for a specific period of time and vote. Once a year we'd get together at the ACA for a live meeting.

We could have different types of membership. Individual membership would cost $25.00 per year and would count for one vote. Family membership (for two adults and all children) cost $40 and would count for two votes.

Standard Officers - President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer and seven directors including the immediate past president (if there is one). Length of terms are yet to be decided. I've been on several different boards and keeping the immediate past president on board helps continuity and provides a corporate memory. This will make 11 officers. I'm thinking it might be best to have 7 or more positions filled by hobbyists and the rest open to professionals.

We'll need people to run various committees. For instance, I'd like to have a specialty discus show in conjunction with the ACA in Texas next year or the year after. The judging of this show would be a different day that the ACA judging, with a different judge. Awards could be given at the NADA member meeting. We'll need someone to be responsible for the show, rules, correspondence, judges, etc.

The head of the publication committee would oversee the newsletter. A program committee could be in charge of the Discus Study Group time slot at the ACA each year and provide a program for our annual meeting. We'll need a publicity chairman to seek advertising and sponsorships for the newsletters and shows. A librarian to take charge of physical documents and records - maybe we could even have a lending library. Eventually we may need an Auction committee.

You love your discus. You enjoy water changes. Discus are relaxing and lots of fun! Maybe the question shouldn't be "What can a discus club do for me?" Maybe you should ask yourself "What can I do to support this hobby?" I've helped lots of people over the years - maybe even you. Now I'm asking for your help. Help me make the North American Discus Association a reality.
Thank you.

Carol_Roberts
07-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Pictured above (starting back row left) are:
Steve Turner, Phil Heppner, Mike Heppner, Ryan Karcher, Mario Carvalho, Abe Schwartz, Dwyatt Green,
Row 2 Deb O'Gara, Carol Roberts, Brian O'Gara, Rick May, Jeff Young, John Nicholson, Dottie Miller, Gary McCarthy
Row 3 seated Jack Taylor, Ron Menchey, Willie Loh
Jen Kruckenberg took this photo

Bylaws

Carol_Roberts
07-26-2004, 08:04 PM
We held our first NADA meeting at the ACA on Friday, July 23, 2004 at 3:00 PM in a conference room on the 5th floor of the Denver Marriott. I posted a meeting notice on the bulletin board in the main hall of the ACA convention. Nineteen discus hobbyists were in attendance. They are pictured in the above photo. We all agreed a North American Discus Association would benefit the hobby and unanimously voted to form a club. Dues were collected and elections were held.

The first order of business was our mission statement.

We are a collection of discus enthusiasts, hobbyists and breeders who are interested in the advancement of our hobby, through improvements in the quality of the fish we keep and breed. Our goal is to encourage new members, provide information on the discus hobby and promote discus at fish shows.

Carol_Roberts
07-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Here are the minutes from our first meeting ;D

The “Founders” meeting was called to order at 3:00 PM on July 23, 2004 at the Hampton Marriott, Denver, CO.

In attendance were: Rick May, Jack Taylor, Ron Menchey, Ryan Karcher, D’Wyatt Green, Gary McCarthy, Jeff Young, Steve Turner, Mario Carvalho, John Nicholson, Dottie Miller, Willie Loh, Jen Kruckenberg, Brian O’Gara, Deb O’Gara, Abe Schwartz Mrs. Jerry Baer, Phil Heppner, Mike Heppner and Carol Roberts.

Those present voted to form the North American Discus Association (NADA). NADA will be governed by a Board consisting of President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer and seven board members including the past President (if there is one). Hobbyists shall fill the majority of the Board positions. We tried to select members for the first board from various parts of the US and Canada. Elected were:

President -- Carol Roberts, OR (NW)
Vice President – Ron Menchy, NY (NE)
Secretary -- Jen Kruckenberg, MN (MW)
Treasurer/Membership – (Interim Treasurer, Willie Loh)

______________, Canada
Mario Carvalho, Canada
Willie Loh, MN (MW)
Rick May, UT (W)
Gary McCarthy, NY (NE)
John Nicholson, TX (SW)
Jeff Young, CA (SW)

We are seeking another Canadian for the board.

A motion was made and approved that the mission statement for NADA shall read as follows:
We are a collection of discus enthusiasts, hobbyists and breeders who are interested in the advancement of our hobby through improvements in the quality of the fish we keep and breed. Our goal is to encourage new members, provide information on the discus hobby and promote discus at fish shows.

Carol would like to establish several key components for the newly formed club--
*Website development
*Quarterly newsletter
*Discus specialty show by ACA‘05

1) WEBSITE: Chuck Russell (of NY) has created a bare bones site. Sketchy, Steve’s wife or D’wyatt could assist. All have skills towards web development/computer graphic arts. Carol has parked www.DiscusNADA.(org). The website would not have a discussion site (forum). It would include our mission statement and bylaws, a calendar/events section, membership form (printable version), contacts list for the BOD, discus history, articles on basic discus care and photos of the basic discus types. There would be links to North American forums plus a tab to a general links page including other discus clubs/forums etc. For business entities, a revolving banner could be clicked taking visitors to another page displaying banners from all advertisers. Meetings would be held in a “members only” section.

Carol would like to run a picture/logo contest, open to everyone really soon. Submissions would be sent to Carol at a “neutral” email address (no forum affiliations) something like Carol@discusNADA.org (or a yahoo.com address) and she will forward them to the BOD for a vote.

2) NEWSLETTER: Carol has some persons who have expressed interest in producing a newsletter, but can’t recall their names. She has them at home and will provide. Down the road, we will perhaps archive some of the articles on the website ß that might be in the member’s only access area.

3) DISCUS SPECIALTY SHOW: We’ll have to work with the ACA towards having our own show in conjunction with their show, yet separate. We do not want to work in conflict with the ACA judging panel. We would prefer to have our own judge(s) and view fish earlier (or later) than ACA judges. We would need access to the showroom. We wish to be recognized as an umbrella group under the ACA, but to stand-alone. Show Chair for2005 NADA could be John N., Danny Ng or D’wyatt Green. The ACA would charge a $3 entry fee and NADA would ask for an additional $5 ($8 total per entry). We shall want better H2O provided, including R.O water. The classes would be split into Solids, Striped, Open and Wilds. The benefits for the ACA would be increased participation in the show and the judges can usually be used as a speaker. NADA judges would do a program in the Discus Study Group time slot. NADA could help cover expenses.

Willie Loh. suggests we promote fun as a built-in function of NADA!!
Carol Roberts. has three copies of the By-Laws for those interested.
Linda Oi used a template for the bylaws and articles of Incorporation adopted from MN law. She will look into incorporating as a non-profit in MN or OR.
The Angelfish Society (TAS) has a nice online site set up.

Dues were established for membership in NADA. Jen made a motion of $25 per year for individual membership. John Nicholson seconded the motion. Family memberships (2 adults and all children) will count as two votes and cost $40.00. A special designation of “Founding Member” will costs $40.00 and help raise money to get us started. The vote was 16 in favor, 0 opposed. (Everybody likes to vote!!) The motion passed. Discussion on where this seed money will go… Probably towards setting up the website, trophies for the Specialty show etc. There was talk of the defunct Discus Study Group still having $$ in some account, somewhere. Bob Wilson may know something about it. Mario knows Bob W. and will try to contact him. Perhaps the $$ would roll over to us??

John Nicholson discussed that sellers should give a discount to those who are members vs. non-members of NADA as a way of growing our ranks.

Discussion on who are “hobbyists” and who are “Businesses” No consensus, decide this down the road.

A membership list shall be created and shared with all members. Addresses and telephone #s may be kept off list if requested. Have a check off box on the membership if do not want address included. Each member will be given a membership number.

There was much discussion about the links/banner tabs, pertaining to the website. Rick would like to differentiate between information links (like Fons’ discuspagina.nl) and commercial enterprises. Willie wonders if a link will be created to just anyone’s forums (like Bruce/Majestic) John made a motion that a forum needs to be in operation for a minimum amount of time, say 6 months and that it contain so many members, say 500. The motion was amended to strike the amount of members requiring no minimum. Dottie seconded the motion. First, a link is different than a banner. A link would be free and would send a person to a site that was not entirely commercial in nature. We would like to see reciprocation on their site with a link to the NADA site. The NADA Webmaster would have to review these periodically to make sure the links still work. Banner space would be given to breeders/sellers who are in the business. There should be a disclaimer associated with banner participants that we are not “endorsing” these sellers, just listing commercial entities. Rick made a motion to approve certain fees for banners. Discussion—John gave quotes for DaaH pricing structure. Jeff quoted prices on Simply. There shall be two sizes a 3 x 3 and a 1 x 3. Again, ads should run 1 yr. or a minimum of 6 months. Jeff suggests clicking on the rotating banner leads to an advertisers/ business page. We all like the idea of having a “rolling banner” on the main home page that showcases all businesses, but leads to a page of advertisers rather than to a business in particular. Patrons would click on this rolling banner and be directed to a static page of banners for breeders/sellers/businesses. I believe it was John who made a motion to see each banner on this static page being $100 per year.

Meeting adjourned at 5:00 PM

Respectfully submitted by Jen K.

Carol_Roberts
07-29-2004, 10:37 PM
I need volunteers to work on the website with Chuck Russell.

I need some one to be the lead person for the quarterly Newsletter. We'll need articles and pictures for the newletter.

I need a volunteer to chair discus events at the ACA in Texas 2005.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Don_Lee
07-29-2004, 11:27 PM
I will help with chairing discus events in Texas next year. And, I will be the lead person for the quarterly Newsletter if I am considered worthy of such a role....... I will need help tho........I have no experience with newsletters. publication, etc..............

Don ;D

Carol_Roberts
07-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Thanks Don ;D
I'm taking names and going to figure out who fits best where later :P

Don_Lee
07-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Sounds good! ;D

fish_maniac
08-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Carol,
I don't have much graphic skill but I could try to help on the web site. Please let me know.

Kam

Carol_Roberts
08-01-2004, 01:07 AM
thank you Kam. I've added you to my list ;D

Rob
08-02-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm a network engineer, I work with computers,servers, networks, WANs. I am certified with Cisco and Microsoft.
If there is anything I can do to help I would be glad to.

Carol_Roberts
08-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks! I've forwarded your names to Chuck Russell ;D

Smooth
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Carol,

I'm a computer guy as well. I have a computer science degree, and have some graphics design experience and have done a little web design. Let me know if I can help at all!!!

Ryan

Fons_van_der_Hart
08-05-2004, 02:55 AM
You'll receive at least two articles this year about the International Discus Championship in Germany and the show in Belgium. Both included pictures.

Fons.

Carol_Roberts
08-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks Fons ;D

thebaglady
08-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all your hard work so far Carol!! ;)

Watching the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics tonight and seeing the woman who organized the event... her story was just inspirational.

Every new undertaking requires a strong, creative leader. I believe you fit the bill. 8)

Jen K.

GulfCoastDiscus
09-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi Carol,
I do a little graphics. Let me know what I can do to help.

Dan

Ax
09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi Carol, I am new to this forum, but willing to help, and would like to be a part of North American Discus Association if allowed this honor. Kept aquariums from the age of 7 (breeding Angels and Black Moors), but just now got in to the Discus world. IT by profession. Sorry about spelling, English is my third language.
Thanks.
Alex (Ax)

Carol_Roberts
09-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi Ax:
Thanks for your offer of help. We hope to be opening memebership up pretty soon.