PDA

View Full Version : Light Strip for Tank

jamarose
08-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I have a 90 gallon that I am setting up. I have a canopy and stand. Need a light. I was going to buy a double 48" strip light and set on the glass that covers the tank and then wondered if I could just mount it to the canopy so I wouldn't have to move it every time I needed to do something with the tank.

I have seen the retrofit items, but didn't want to spend so much. I can get a 48" double light from bigalsonline for about $80.

Can I just mount that strip to the canopy? Or do I need something else.

how can I do this inexpensively?

Judy

jeep
08-03-2004, 04:16 PM
If you want to mount it to the canopy, you may look into Home Depot or Lowes and buy just a regular commercial fixture. It's the lights that count, not the fixture.

You can probably pick one up for around $10 - $15.

Just make sure the canopy is vented...

Brian

lauris
08-03-2004, 04:32 PM
i would agree with what jeep says. i have a double 48" flourescent that i mounted in a home-made canopy over a 55. i wouldn't spend $80, however, there are specials on lights all the time at the menards or whatever for less than ten bucks. you might want to step up over the cheapo model, but certainly less than 20. i took mine and laid it on its back in the canopy. take off the center strip that conceals the wires and you'll find that there are holes that you can use to attach it with screws to the canopy, if its wood. could use epoxy or drill plastic too i suppose. mine was mounted into basically a box that i made out of 1X6 lumber. there was a big hole (1.5" or so) that i cut into the end of the box to get the power cord out and that was it as far as ventilation. don't remember any fires or overheating of the water. i didn't even have glass under it and it worked for six or seven years fine. i tore the tank down and noticed that the light was pretty corroded so i just replaced the fixture with another cheap one. the only other thought i have is that you might not need a double strip unless you are wanting to grow plants. i'm assuming you are, otherwise a single strip would be even smaller and contribute less to algae formation.

jamarose
08-03-2004, 06:41 PM
No live plants. Someone told me I needed a double strip light.

Maybe I'll go look at home depot tonight and see what they have. What kind of wattage? 40??

lauris
08-03-2004, 06:45 PM
if you have no live plants, the less watts the better i would imagine. less energy cost, less light for algae. they have single strips for 48" lights, but the ones i have used you have to wire the plug on yourself (which is very easy).

ronrca
08-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Great advice here! ;) Id also recommend the fixture from Home Depot. Very easy to mount and connect. ;)

SmellsFishy0
08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
on my 75g i also got a el cheapo plug in 48 inch doubled light fixture and with that and 2 regular t8 bulbs spent around 20 bucks ;) beats overpriced aquarium hoods n lids-----AndyM