PDA

View Full Version : Brand Newbie ! Please Assist

cyberguyz
08-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Hello All

This is my first post here, what a great place. I am the type to learn everything I can about a subject I am interested in, but the downside as I am sure you are aware, is information overload, and contradicting advice. I recently bought 2 3-inch Discus from a LPS (did I get the lingo correct?), and its been about a week. I just got them to start eating the Tetra Colorbits, and I supplement with some frozen bloodworm, and frozen white mosquito larva. They seem to eat that up. My tank is a 20 gal, planted, (sparsely - theres like 4 plants in there), has about 11 rocks, gravel, and airstones, as I had an ornimental tank years ago, with a mutitude of fish. I am mainly interested in the Discus, and love watching them. It seems now after a week, they are less shy, dont hide in the corner so much in the safety of the plants, and come to stare at me stare at them...I did have a panic, when I noticed after coming home from work each morning (work nights) that they had lost their colour or darkened, and has lost the colour from their eyes..I would start cranking up the heat, adding salt etc, until someone told me this is normal?? They seem ok now. There are other fish in the tank: black pleco with yellow spots, 8 neon black tetras, 1 male betta, 2 apple snails. My question is, is all this ok? Can I kill the 2 proverbial birds with one stone;ornamental planted tank, and healthy growing discus - OR - should I simply remove everything from the tank except the airstones, and the discus and go from there, I am so tempted. I understand this is mostly from a waterchange made easy perspective, and that waste and food build up under gravel, and rocks etc. I would really appreciate your custom attention on this given the details I provided if you have time and would be so kind ! I change the water 3 times a week (one third) which I age in a 10 gal bucket for 24 hours. The filter is cycled, and ph levels are sitting at 7 without any additives. temp is around 85-88 degrees. What should I do...

Thanks so much !

Brendan

Lauren
08-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Brendan

When you come home if the lights are off (nightime) and they are darkend this is normal 'sleep time'. My pigeon blood based fish doesnt darkend like this, but my san merahs which are a light rosey color turn dark dark brown nearly black every night. About 15min after I turn their lights on in the morning (basement) they are active and fully colored again ;D

Most people say LFS not LPS by the way(local fish store/shop)

Depends on what your goals are & who you want to please, if you want a pretty tank to show off then barebottom is obviously not peoples idea of perty. If you want beautiful fish for youself now thats a different matter. You said just discus and airstones? Dont forget to keep the filter ;D

This makes me realize I dont even have 1 show tank.. LOL funny stuff Time to make one I wonder...

See you around

Lauren

Barb Newell
08-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Hi Brendan, welcome to Simply Discus!

There are other fish in the tank: black pleco with yellow spots, 8 neon black tetras, 1 male betta, 2 apple snails. My question is, is all this ok? Can I kill the 2 proverbial birds with one stone;ornamental planted tank, and healthy growing discus - OR - should I simply remove everything from the tank except the airstones, and the discus and go from there, I am so tempted.

It might be easier to keep your discus healthy if you go with airstones, hydrosponge, bare bottom, clay pot with a plant, (remove the gravel), and just discus.

Barb :)

cyberguyz
08-12-2004, 01:53 AM
thanks for the info!

Barb what is a hydrosponge?

Carol_Roberts
08-12-2004, 01:55 AM
I'd keep the two discus where they are and call these your learning discus.

IF you decide (like the rest of us) you want more discus then I'd buy a 55 gallon tank and 6 or more juveniles from a reputable breed and grow them out in a barebottom enviormment.

ther is an index here in the beginner section with lots of good links to beginner threads.

cyberguyz
08-12-2004, 02:06 AM
and this will sound silly as well ;-)

where can I get a clay pot (Im assuming you mean one with a hole in it for them to hide / lay eggs?) and where does the plant go? heh heh heh, I sound like such a moron....

Brendan

oodi
08-12-2004, 02:21 AM
Hi Brendan, and welcome!!!

You should be able to find the pots at any garden center.

Barb was suggesting that you put the plants in the pots, instead of using a gravel substrate for ease of cleaning.

Judi
:)

cyberguyz
08-12-2004, 02:26 AM
ahhh....thanks, dont worry the smoke is clearing, the dumb questions will cease.

really, thanks everyone. So I think I will leave all as is right now (nowhere to put the other fish, at the moment) and will plan on buying a 55 gal or bigger in the near future, to begin with a new batch of juvs after my "learning experience" here.

Talk to you soon.
B

oodi
08-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Brendan,

The only "dumb" question is the one that isn't asked! ;)

Judi
:)

Howie_W
08-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi Brendan,

Welcome to the forum! You’re asking the same questions all of us needed answers to when we first started out…the more questions you ask the better off your fish will be!

Just because these are your first fish, doesn’t mean you can’t grow them to their full potential.

Your future plans should include; A larger tank, and at least 6 juveniles; Young discus are more comfortable in a group.

Water changes; Discus need large quantities of fresh water daily…you should up your water changes to 50% a day. If this is an issue due to aging your water, than get a larger storage container…many people get by with the 35 gallon Rubbermaid type containers.

Feeding; Juveniles need frequent feeding throughout the day. 4 smaller feedings spread out over the course of the day. This goes hand-in-hand with the water changes; more eating means you need to make sure the water stays clean.

HTH

Howie