PDA

View Full Version : Power outages and power filters

Bud Reuffer
08-12-2004, 10:31 AM
In anticipation of an extended power outage with either of the approaching tropical storms, especially Charlie, how long will the biological sponges in my power filters go before crashing? Is there anything I can do to prolong their usefulness?

Anonapersona
08-12-2004, 12:04 PM
More importantly, I hope you have stored lots and lots of water!

I've read that canister media should be removed an stored in shallow water to stay damp but open to air, I'd guess a HOB filter pad could be also.

Barb Newell
08-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi, there is some good info here on power outages.

Barb

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=20035

Carol_Roberts
08-12-2004, 12:58 PM
If a canister filter put media in a bucket of tank water. If aqua clear type it will be fine - pour tank water over sponges a couple of times a day after first 24 hours of power outage or squeeze out sponges in a bucket of tank water and put rinsed sponges in tank with fish until power comes back on.

Bud Reuffer
08-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks Barb. I somehow missed that thread. . . probably cause it didn't apply to me at that very moment.

Thanks Carol. Don't know why it didn't occur to me to pour water through the filters. Slow learning curve I guess. I do have battery back-up for my air stones, at least.

Hopefully I won't have to use this advice. Trouble is I won't remember next time. Not only am I short-sighted and a slow learner, my memory ain't what it used to be either. So please forgive me when I ask the same question the next time a storm is approaching.

henryD
08-12-2004, 01:50 PM
A really nice thing to get and they have come down in pricing in recent years. Is one of the Uninterreptued power supply. They make them for computer servers. When you power goes off you can use these are back ups. Turning on your filter and for a couple of mintues. Shutting it off and turning it back on. THis way you continue to have some filtration. It is also good for keeping tanks heated during winter power outage.

Most of the time you can find a cheap used one at a computer store for very little money. They can be tucked away somewhere until it needs to be used.

Henry

Cosmo
08-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Henry,

I had computer UPS backups on my tanks, but when the power goes these things drain quickly. If you're not there to turn them on/off you're toast after a short period of time ( know, came home from work and the UPS's were dead). Gave them to my daughters for their computers and got an APS hooked up to a Marine Gell Cell Deep Cycle battery - good for 24 hours without my intervention.

Jim

BGTW
08-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Get yourselves an inverter, Simple! You will also need to buy some big batteries depending on your requirements.
Bob