PDA

View Full Version : What pump to use for a drip system

Cosmo
08-17-2004, 09:55 AM
My fish room is almost ready and I'm at the point where I'm going to setup an auto fill, auto drain system to constantly refresh the tank water from my RO setup.

Not completely sure if I want to go actual full time drip, or, a timed "dribble" yet, and part of the reason is the pump while part is how to refill and reconstitute the RO while I'm at work.

Anyway.

My fish room is about 8 X 12 - on one side I have a 90 gall and a 30 gal hospital tank while on the other I have 4 20gal hi tanks intended for breeders. I have two 65 water storage tanks and intend to have one feed the 90 + 30 gal and the other feed the 4 20's so I can keep the parameters optimum. Suspect I'll need two pumps.

Was thinking of using a 6800 booster pump running the 1/4 inch line into a 3/8 line then using valving and "T"'s to feed the breeders w/ the ball valves keepiing the flow down to a trickle. Or, could run the 3/8's into a 1/2 pvc and use calibrated drips instead. Haven't tested the 6800 yet to see if it's up to it, but I have it laying around so thought it just might be worth the try.

I also have quiet one's 1200 and 3000 available for use, but don't know if either of these would fit the bill either.

Would appreciate any inpu I could get from those of you that already have drip systems in place regarding what pump you use to push the water.

Thanks to anyone that responds.
Jim

RandalB
08-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Jim,
The 6800 is not designed for that type of purpose. It needs some feed pressure to work...

RandalB

Cosmo
08-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Randal,

I know it's not designed for that, but thought you had told me you tested it and it did suck the water in without feed pressure. Anyway, was thinking of pushing it with a quiet one 1200 submerged within the holding tank - reducing the 1/2 hose to a 3/8 OD pressure tube then down to the 1/4 feed on the 6800. Don't know if it'll work or not.

My concern is finding a pump that will supply enough, but not too much pressure. The calibrated drip devices work at the rated flow only if the line pressure doesn't exceed 25lbs - am afraid the quiet one 3000 would provide too much pressure.

Any suggestions?

Jim

RandalB
08-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Jim,
They will draw water but not efficiently or quietly. I tried using a 160 PSI 8800 to move water from a holding tank to the tanks for water changes. It didn't work too well. I switched to a Mag 7 instead. What you are looking for is a delivery/demand pump or a rotary vane pump. Something that's designed to take water from an atmospheric tank and pressurize it for your flow system. You could also use PVC pipe with Green house type drip emitters to keep your flows regulated.

If you weren't so insistant on reconstituting all your RO water you'd have no problems running without a pump. You could just use a mixing valve and tap water to reconstitute your RO water at Tank temperatures and run with a timer. I've seen setups like this in the past and they worked great (on lake Michigan water too!). With the low pressures involved in a system like that, you can actually use Airline tubing and Air gang valves...

RandalB

Cosmo
08-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Hey Randal,

Actually, from another thread discussing use of RO waste water, I am going to mix that into the RO for the upstairs and non-breeder tanks - for that system I have a hi pressure, low head diaphram pump that'll do the job just fine - not quiet like you said, but this one I'm only going to run on a timer and add new water periodically throughout the day.

Don't know how, but I'll figure out how to get the straight RO to drip if it kills me... that's a joke by the way.

If nothing else, should keep me busy and out of trouble for awhile.

Jim

aggie_67
08-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Assume your diaphram pump is high pressure low flow? Low head is the same as low pressure.

Cosmo
08-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Aggie,

You could be right - bought it as hi pressure low head, but who knows... do know it pumps just under a gallon and a half from the basement storage tank to the second floor show tank w/ no problems. Was told it would reach the third floor too, but, the wife won't hear of a tank in the bedroom :)

Jim

Cosmo
08-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Just for the record - dropped the idea of using the 6800 (it's only 3 months old if anyone may be interested - or, I might keep it as a spare for when I need another RO unit).

Went with a Mag 7 that I'll run into 3/4 PVC around the room and use plastic adjustable emitters w/ air tube extensions. Figured I'd keep my Q.O. 3000 where it is rather than replumb that system as well.

Cheers all
Jim