PDA

View Full Version : Water Barrels

krandrus
08-28-2004, 11:59 PM
I set up a 55 gallon rain barrel in my basement to age water. It is brand new plastic with a green color. It has a 4 foot length of garden hose coming out of the bottom for pumping to the tanks.

I rinsed it out with a pressure washer and then let water sit in it and drained twice for 24 hours each. Then I put it is the basement with a heater in it and aged the water for 48 hours.

My problem is, the water smelled "plasticy" when I went to put it in my tanks. So I did not put it in the tanks. What is your experience? Is the plastic smell an indication of something harmful? Will it be ok for the fish? If not how do you get rid of it?

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

Carol_Roberts
08-29-2004, 12:30 AM
IF this is a brand new barrel that has never contained anything and you rinsed it really good it should be fine. My barrels held greek olives and my water had a slight odor for several weeks. Eventually it goes away.

FischAutoTechGarten
08-29-2004, 12:47 AM
My barrels came from a Pepsi Bottling Plant and the basement smelled like Pepsi for weeks.

pcgamer02
08-29-2004, 01:15 AM
I got mine from coastal farm supply, it smelled weird for a while. Where did you get your's from? They have spigots on the bottom that leak. I sealed them, but the sealent irratated my fish so im just gonna buy diff ones. Pepsi is out of them when I called, hopefully they will have some more for me :)

FischAutoTechGarten
08-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Out of them? My Pepsi plant always has a tractor trailer full of them.

pcgamer02
08-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Ya, somone came down there and cleaned them out. lol. I called cocacola today but they were closed. The guy said they were free, so I will prob get about 4-5. I think thats about as many as I can fit in my 4runner :P

krandrus
08-29-2004, 01:49 AM
I was not as lucky as you guys. I looked around for about a month for a "food" grade container, but I did not find anything that had a bottom spigot. I ended up spending about $50 USD on a rain barrel. It was the cheapest thing I could find.

Just as a note. In order to avoid the possibility of the heater burning the plastic, I suctioned it to a piece of aquarium lid glass that is resting on the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for the feedback. I am gathering that no-one thinks the plasticy smell is a problem.

Kevin

Howie_W
08-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi Kevin,

The out-gasing smell, which is typical of plastics is not a probelm.

I treat water storage barrels the same as anything else connected to my aquariums...I make sure they stay clean. Every so often I clean out the inside with print-free white paper towel, and make sure any hoses, cords, pumps etc. inside the barrel are also clean.

Howie

krandrus
08-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks Howie,

Keeping it clean is the plan.

I am a little sad right now as I just put down my first discus. He never recovered from starting out in a planted tank. I know that you have all lost fish, I am just sad that my mistakes cost one little snakeskin his life.

Kevin

Chad
08-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Got mine from Snapple!! Smelled like pink lemonade for a month!!

I used PP to clean mine.... let it sit and put a small pump in... dumped them and set up!! Still didnt kill the smell!! LOL

Chad

aggie_67
08-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Been working in the chemical business too long. After I clean the barrel, I taste the water. If it tastes OK then use it!!

08-30-2004, 01:18 AM
aggie_67 ,

"Been working in the chemical business too long"

And if it dont taste ok go to the hospital. ;D

j/k

Ronald ;)