PDA

View Full Version : Heater in new tank in Australia

sill
08-30-2004, 02:22 AM
Hi all, as I said in an earlier post, I'm new here and in Australia. I see you have several members from Aus as well and my question is: I'm just setting up a new tank as we speak and with summer upon us here, what temp can anyone reccomend to set my heaters at? I dont want to have to keep changing it but dont want to cook my discus either! Well technically its almost spring but getting warm already, I'm in NSW.Its a six foot tank with a heater on each end, one 200 W the other 150 W. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,
sill :)
I have had tropical fish before, I am just being extra careful with the discus.

GulfCoastDiscus
08-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi Sill,
I keep all my discus between 84F to 86F. I don't know what this temp is in celcius. :)

Got any pics of your tank. :)

Dan

Howie_W
08-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi Sill,

You didn't mention if you are setting up a completely bare bottom tank, or one containing plants.

Another factor is the size and age of your fish.

For growing out adults I use a bare bottom tank set at 88F/31C.

For adults in a planted tank; 84F/29C.

When setting-up a new tank, monitor the temperature regulary to make sure the heaters are working properly and maintaining a constant temperature.

Howie

sill
08-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi again everyone, many thanks for your acknowledgements so quickly, its much appreciated. I did take one pic of my tank Dan but was a bit dark, will give it another go presently. Its huge, well to me, my other tanks are two and three foot. Its going to be a planted tank ( *ducking cos I have read many anti plant postings LOL) with 8 discus about 3 or 4 inches in size each but thats a guess. I must say I sure read a lot of contradictory things. I always thought discus liked lots of room to swim, this book I got yesterday says you shouldnt have discus in tanks bigger than 5 feet. I'll let the discus decide if they are happy or not if they ever get into this one LOL. Oh for future reference dont worry about celcius or farenhite , I'm a transplant myself having just moved to Aus from Toronto so got the temps masterd, its the litres and grams and cms I have aprob with LOL. Thanks again, sill :)