PDA

View Full Version : water changes

sill
09-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi all, not sure if this is a water question, a beginners one or a general so.. as a beginner though something I am curious about: I change my water often of course but i also wonder when you are new to this and your fish are relatively new ( to me at least) doesnt the comotion of doing water changes disturb them at all or do they just get used to it? i always thought discus were so peaceful and passive and liked their tank to be the same and yet sometimes their faces say " geez here she comes again, cant she just let us be? " LOL They are in a 3 ft tank at the moment with the ambition of being moved to a 6ft that is being cycled and getting set up properly as my other posts will tell you. I changed the water where they are a couple of hours ago, about 30%, they all dived behind the internal filter thats in that tank and are still there. Is it my emptying and refilling thats annoying them or does that mean something else? normally they swim about or almost schoal at the front of the tank but they're all bunched up in the back now. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance :)
sill

Terrybo
09-02-2004, 12:38 AM
If the new water has the same PH and temperature as the tankwater, the fish should not hide during water changes unless they are not used to you yet. How do they react when you walk up to the tank? My discus get in the way when I do a water change, hoping for a snack I guess. (I do daily water changes, so they are used to the activity).

Terry

sill
09-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Hi Terry, thanks for answering. Normally they dont mind me coming up to the tank at all. I often just sit on the footstool and watch them.I checked the ph levels before and after the change today and also in the new tank and in the "from the tap". They're all identical which is either really good or my test kit is off LOL I just glanced at them prior to coming on here and they seem to be moving around a bit more. I just found it odd that not one but ALL were acting so skittish and weird today. I'll go sit and watch them for a while and see if they are back to their normal cheery selves.If not, do you think maybe I should turn the light off and let them be for a bit?Oh its 2:30 pm where I am in Aus by the way so turning light off in the day may spook them more! Thanks!
Sill :)

Anonapersona
09-02-2004, 08:40 AM
I'll guess that they are not used to the activity yet. A small bribe of food will ease their mistrust!

And be certain that the water company has not changed chemicals, do you age water or treat for chlorine? does your treatment also handle chloramine if they should convert without warning?

Carol_Roberts
09-02-2004, 12:14 PM
They are scared at first, but quickly get used to waterchanges. You'll see ;D

pcgamer02
09-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Then the real problem will be getting them to move out of the way so you can vacumm the bottom. I usually have to give them a shove ;D

KD
09-02-2004, 09:01 PM
I've had my fish since April- They will set in the corner till I'm done and then they seem to relish in the water change once I button up.

April
09-02-2004, 09:59 PM
hi there and welcome to Simply. :wave: and welcome to discus keeping.
im sure they will get more relaxed very soon. just keep doing your wcs and try to keep your ph even.
now..the real reason im here. lol. im here to steer all the fellow aussies to the aussie post. theres lots of aussies who post there. and all over the board..but sometimes if you have water questions..etc or where to get stuff. they are all there. and..lots of fun there. theres actually 3 posts of aussie posts. about 100 pages long. .theres some on there who live in Sidney.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=14706;s tart=1365#lastPost
let us know how your fish are all doing as time goes on.

Cosmo
09-04-2004, 10:22 PM
I have the same problem as PaulH - have to give them a little shove with the vacuum tube to get them out of my way - they like to either get behind or in front of the tube and get another bite before it all disapears lol Had one trying to eat a worm as it travelled up the tube - funniest thing I think I've seen :)

Cosmo
09-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Sill - PS.

It helps if you move slowly and methodically with the tube and hoses until your fish get used to the routine. A sudden movement of the hose, or a thud of any kind can send them running. Once they get to know what's going on they just seem to act like nothing out of the ordinary is happening (and if you do frequent WC's, I guess nothing out of the ordinary is going on is it ?? :)

Enjoy your fish, Discus are a delight to keep
Jim

GulfCoastDiscus
09-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Before and after you do a w/c give them a treat. They'll soon relate w/c to food and not be afraid at all. Some of my fish are so accustomed to w/c that I gave one a hicky. :-[.

Dan

Condor
09-05-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty attached to my fish too.....wait a second..... :)

Howie_W
09-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Some of my fish are so accustomed to w/c that I gave one a hicky. :-[.

Dan

Well...I guess now we know the secret to all your success with your breeders! :love: ;)

Howie

GulfCoastDiscus
09-05-2004, 10:41 AM
hahaha....

We know where your mind goes to.lol :)

I deserve that. Did not clarify.

You want to see success? Check this out

GulfCoastDiscus
09-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Another

GulfCoastDiscus
09-05-2004, 10:42 AM
and another

GulfCoastDiscus
09-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Last one.

GulfCoastDiscus
09-05-2004, 10:51 AM
The very last. This pair has 2 spawns on their back. She spawned while still carrying the first batch. I tried preventing it by removing the cone so she laid it on the glass. :D

Condor
09-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Those are some beautifull fish, Dan. Enjoyed your website.

Adrian

GulfCoastDiscus
09-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Thank you Adrian

dan

sill
09-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi all and thanks for all the responses and for all the pics dan, they sure are lovely looking fish! Well the fish seem to be calming down a bit in as much as they are swimming about more freely. They're out and about a lot more, *phew didnt want any problems. I'll be moving them to the new tank probably later today so I'll expect more shyness and hiding at that time. In the meantime all is well. I planned to spend a lot of time over the weekend catching up and reading posts but time got away from me so best go do that now! Thanks again, hope all is well with everyone elses fishes too :)