PDA

View Full Version : Drip system with sump

adapted
09-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Is it practical to use a drip system with a sump? I'm having a hard time imagining how the overflow would be managed. I currently have a 135 gallon tank that gets a constant 3-4 gallon drip all the time. I wanted to ue a sump for heating and filtering becaue I already hae all the hardware needed ....

Thanks.

Mike

aggie_67
09-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Couldn't you just put an overflow on the side of the sump? As the water in the system increases the sump level has to go up. When it reaches the overflows the excess then goes out.

Larry Grenier
09-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Aggie sait it...

The sump will be the overflow instead of the main tank.

daninthesand
09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Depends where your sump is located. If the sump is below the tank (the usual setup) then an over flow on the sump will be great. It also will be good as an escape for excess water should your sump pump give out and siphoning of your tank into the sump happens while you are not home. Also, if you have a power failure, you'd be surprised how much water will over flow your tank and end up in the sump (assuming you have an overflow in your tank).

If your sump is above your tank (this can be done for example with the pump inside the tank lifting water to an overhead filter) then you need at least an over flow in your tank.

The best would be to have an overflow to your drain in BOTH the tank and the sump.

Whatever you do, make sure you test your setup with all possible disaster scenarios...IE sudden failure of drip system allowing large flow of water into your tank. or pump power failure, or one or either or both overflows get blocked by leaves and or debris (or even a dead fish),

Finally, use the biggest overflow bulkhead you can find. At least 1 1/2 inches inside diameter. the bigger the better.

hth
Daniel

adapted
09-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. My sump will be directly under the aquarium, with only a little room for an overflow to be higher than the household drain line. But I think I can make it work.

This particular tank gets an almost 100% wc every day (about 5 gallons an hour) so I am assumng there will be reduced need for biofiltration, so do you suppose three gallons of bioballs with about 500 gallons per hour flow would do the trick?. Or is this just soemthing you have to try for yourself and see?

Anyway, I am drilling the tank this weekend if all goes well -- have been using an overflow box that has failed one time too often -- so thanks Dan for the advice about bulkheads.

If anyone has a link to a good filter design based on a 20-30 gallon aquarium (I have one of each sitting around here collecting dust) that would be helpful. I believe in the roll-your-own approach, but it is good to see what others have done.

Thanks again.
Mike

Cosmo
09-08-2004, 05:30 PM
been thinking of how to do this same thing, so good reading.

I think Brewmaster 15 posted a thread not too long ago on the one he made... might try IMing him.
Jim

FischAutoTechGarten
09-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Make sure to include a siphon break just below the water level of your tank for the sump return line. That way if your pump gives out, you won't siphon too much water from your tank into the sump. Having the overflow drain in your sump will also prevent your biological media from being total submerged.