PDA

View Full Version : New to discus

wally
09-06-2004, 08:36 AM
I have over 50 years experience in the hobby, but have always stayed away from discus. Need some insights, and possible good sources, other than local stores. I am in the Buffalo, N.Y. area. Thanks ;D

Howie_W
09-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi Wally,

Welocome to Simply. There's a life time supply of insight on this forum to help you out.

Are you planning on starting out with juveniles or adults?

Howie

wally
09-06-2004, 09:33 AM
My wife and I plan on purchasing a number of discus (6-8) in the 2"-3" size. Purchasing small fish and letting them get used to our water, feeding, etc. seems to be the best approach to me. Also the price of larger fish is rather high. I have always stayed away from discus because of their reputation as being finicky about water, etc. Well we are going to take the plunge ( no pun intended).
We have a 75 gallon tank and I am thinking about using a wet dry filter which I have from a reef tank. Is this a good idea.

Howie_W
09-06-2004, 09:41 AM
No problem using a wet/dry filter. I would supplement it with a air driven Hydro Sponge to provide additional filtration and increased air flow.

Howie

Cosmo
09-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Wally,

I agree with your approach of buying juveniles and raising them. Much more satisfaction that way, at least for me. The wet/dry should be more than enough (if it's big enough for a 75 gal or larger tank), just be careful with how you return the water to the Disucs tank. They don't particularly like strong flows or lots of current in their tank... they'll adapt to if, but they prefer more peaceful water.

Large wet/drys in my experience normally require a large pump with a high output - you might try using spraybars across the top of the back of your tank to spread the flow across numerous little jets of water, and, you get good surface agitation also. You can buy these (Eheim makes a great spray bar set called an Installation Kit #2 - but you need several kits to make a good long spraybar - each kit about 12 inches long) or make them out of PVC. The eheims are smoke grey color ISO white, but if you can find some Sched 80 PVC you'd be all set.

Good luck, you'll be glad you finally made the plunge... Discus are a very satisfying, though at times trying, fish to keep. Lots of character and personality.

SimplyDiscus is about the best resourse on the planet, so come here often and share your experiences with the community.

Welcome
Jim

Barb Newell
09-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi Wally, welcome to Simply!

I'm approx 30+ minutes from the US/ Canada Bridge.

I have rose red x red snake fry available now, and will have gold pigeon snakskins available in a few weeks.

Barb

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=14866;s tart=105#msg212142

wally
09-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. My wife and I are just starting a 75 gallon tank, we need to cycle it, set-up a wet dry filter and internal sponge filters etc.
It will be a three weeks or so before we will introduce any discus. We are real novices to discus raising, although we have had fish for many years. We are vey close to you, as we are in Lockport NY. Would there be any problems bring fish accross the border.

Carol_Roberts
09-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Check out fishless cycling in the beginner index. It's teh best and safest way to cycle a new tank

Barb Newell
09-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi Wally, two other Simply members who live in the US have picked fish up from me and taken them back over the border, they didn't have a problem. I'll ask him to contact you if you like.

Barb

wally
09-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Thank you, my first priority I guess is to cycle my tank, guess I will try the fish-less one which has been sugggested, never did it that way before. I am sure we will be seeing you in the future. Thanks again for the response and info.

Anonapersona
09-07-2004, 08:57 AM
I'll offer a caution about how many fish to get.

I got more than twice the number of fish I actually have space for, thinking I'd lose some along the way and that some would not be pretty (I bought them very small at quarter sized).

Now it is breaking my heart to think I'll have to chosse between them, I have 23 fish and room for maybe 14. I don't think I can find 4 fish that I might be able to part with, much less trying to get rid of 9 fish.

Carol_Roberts
09-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Annona, the solution is so simple! You need another tank ;D

Howie_W
09-07-2004, 07:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing! :D

Anona,

Time to start getting the next set-up ready! ;)

Howie