PDA

View Full Version : Too many options - which Discus strain to buy?

sn8k
09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Well, I would seriously like some imput from the ppl here on what would look good for my new tank that I am currently preping for Discus. Most of the plants will be green, with maybe one Red Temple for a nice focal point. Anyway, what I am looking for is a purely an astetic compliment to a somewhat natural enviorment. I do thing I partial to the red or blue turks, and the varieties that do show some banding, but knowing you people here have already experimented and come to konw what you think is best for a limited community tank - I think I"m asking the right people here.

One caviet - since I will be adding only adults of the same strain - please keep that in mind. I'm planning on adding the Discus to the tank sometime in November. This will give me time to stabilize the tank and get the water chemistry (and normal dosing of macros & micros) nailed down.

So.. what do you think? What would you like to see. I should add a pic of the tank to help the decision. It isn't going to be without any further changes as I do plan on doing some plant substitutions to get a more varied amout of green shades of plants, but it should give you a great idea of where I am going with the tank.

Any advice or constructive critism is most welcomed.

http://www.plantedtank.net/imageh/images/37/083101_02.jpg

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Tad
09-08-2004, 01:16 AM
sn8k,
Absolutely a beautiful planted tank IMO!...I know if it was me that owned your tank I would plant a group of wild discus in that setting, like some RSGs or Browns. If the PH is in the lower end then a grouping of Heckels would be a picture to behold...
If your inclined to use domestics..I say go with what appeals to you like the turqs ;)....so many possibilities and I dont really think you can go wrong with any choice in that setting... :o

regards,
Tad

sn8k
09-08-2004, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the opinion Tad - much apprichiated. Brown or heckles would look great.... but I should also add that my pH is limited due to KH (30 to 40) of of the RO water. Right now I'm running 6.7 - which is easily maintaned and gives me a CO2 level of approx 10.2 to 13.2 . I could lower the pH to 6.5 and stll be realativly safe... so my question to you is what pH is good for the Heckles/Browns?

I just did a little web search for these - and I DO like what I see... I'm especially fond of the Browns due to their deeper coloration saturation.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/Wild_Browns.jpg

I also read that the Heckles are probably the most difficult of the species to maintain. Is that ture?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise :)

Wolf_Mek
09-08-2004, 07:37 AM
I agree with Tad, a wild strain would look great. I think your pH is fine, though I'm no expert.

I personally would go with a more red strain if you don't go to a wild strain, they'll contrast all the greenery: Alenquers, rose reds, virgin reds, red turqs, possibly even pigeons.

Tad
09-08-2004, 01:40 PM
sn8k
IMO a PH of 6.5 to 7 would be perfect for either the wild browns or the Heckels. Heckels from what I have read (I do not own any yet) prefer the lower PHs and tend to color up better under such conditions. As with all discus wild or not stable water conditions are the best. Im also a fan of the red colored wilds like the ones you just posted ;) to me that is a classic look!

best of luck,
Tad

Howie_W
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi sn8k :)

I agree, Wilds would look great in your tank. I wouldn't mess around with your pH, just keeping it stable is best.

If you haven't already done so, you should contact Al (brewmaster15) here on the forum in regards to getting some wilds for your tank.

Howie

sn8k
09-09-2004, 04:42 AM
The RO water I use (after 24 hours of aging) comes out at a pH of 6.7 to 6.8, so that's what I set my tank CO2 regulator to maintain. After reading many of the posts here, I knew that simplicity yields the best results when it comes to a stable pH and consistancy with the water. My GH & KH hasen't varried more then 10ppm, and that could be more due to the testing equipment then anything else.

Looks lkike there may be some wilds in my future :D

Mark K :fish:

mjyp
09-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Just for grins give Cary (Great Lakes Discus) a call and see what he has.

I know for a fact he has some fish that are absolutely huge!!!!! Got a few of them in my tank, coupled with some sweet gold rams.

He will treat you right for sure...

FischAutoTechGarten
09-09-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm cotton to the browns now myself. Used to really love the RSG, but I've developed an affinity for the browns now.