PDA

View Full Version : Bay area discus people?

Lauren
09-12-2004, 07:58 PM
I'm calling out for help, anyone in the bay area (san fransisco, san jose?) who has shipped discus before and has the know how & ability to do it now? Please PM me it would mean the world and more to me

Lauren

radafmd
09-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Lauren,
I have recently returned to the bay area after a 10year absence and at the same time, I am trying reestablish the discus connections. 10 years ago I knew a great breeder in Scotts Valley near Santa Cruz but I have not been able to relocate him. I have searched the web without success. Granted, I have not gone to his house yet. Maybe he moved. He had great fish and lots of juvenile discus that were bred by himself. He also bred angels. I have located three "breeders" in the SF area and have visited their stores. They are not true breeders and simply import their discus for resale with a very limited selection. I will be following this thread closely. Perhaps, we need to organize the bay area discus enthusiasts?
Lance

goldengatediscus
09-28-2004, 05:24 PM
There are lots of discus hobbyists in the Bay Area, and we had a gathering just last month. Sorry that you missed it.!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=19085

There are a few breeders in the Bay Area. Some just keep a low profile. Whatcha looking for?
Brigitte

oodi
09-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Welcome, Lance!!!

This link may put you in contact with a few people:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=19085

It's just too bad that you didn't find out about it before the August meeting. :(

Judi
:)

radafmd
09-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I should have posted 6 months ago. Suddenly I don't feel so lonely!
Lance

radafmd
09-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Brigitte,
In an ideal world I could find someone who is maintaining a 150 gallon planted discus aquarium, a stand, and filtration and ALL of it built by them. Watch them feed there discus with a beef heart mixture that they made and that doesn't destroy their planted aquarium. Check out the substrate, plants, pH, hardness, and the tools they use to maintain and monitor these parameters. Not just read about it in the forums but put my hands on it. Ahhh yes Brigitte, in an ideal world.
Lance

oodi
09-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Stick around, Lance... that was our first meeting, but I don't think it's the last... at least I hope not! ;)

Judi
:)

radafmd
09-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Oh! I almost forgot. I want to walk through a discus fishroom!
Lance

Discusgeo
09-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Lance who was it that you use to know in Scotts Valley near Santa Cruz we may be able to tel you if they are still around or not.
George

radafmd
10-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Hey George,
Brigitte thinks it might have been Marc. Thanks for your help.
Lance

Lauren
10-01-2004, 12:07 PM
I thought this thread had died! LOL glad I checked just in case, I came to bump it, guess i dont need to.
I'm not from the bay area unfortunately, I'm looking for people who can help me with shipping something in the area this way east though. I would be willing to compensate if needed and thats fine. But the package would be live discus from a local hobbiest/breeder from this forum who is unable to ship at the time to me in Maine. It doesnt have to be right away I think, so I'm cruising for people who might be able to help out with just packing & shipping the fish.

Lauren

CliffsDiscus
10-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Lance,
The Santa Cruz and San Jose Area have a few breeders,
Shangrila Discus, Rainbow Discus AKA, Rainbow Angels,
Fieller Hatchery some of these are not in the business
anymore.
Stores in the Bay Area that only have local bred Discus are
Fintastic in Antioch, Phil raises and breeds his own Discus too, the other store is Lucky Ocean in San Francisco buys
no imported Discus. Fairly Lake can supply you with local
bred Discus but with a deposit.
There are alway members of this forum such as Brigitte,
Paul Alan and Trucdan that breeds their own Discus within
you area.

Lauren,
If you need oxygen and packing of the Discus I can assist
you, but someone needs to bring the Discus over to my
place and they take it to the airport.

Cliff