PDA

View Full Version : Penny Pinching Tips

Condor
09-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Here are some of the guidelines I go by to help save money. Thought it might be good for those trying to start up a planted tank on a budget. Please add tips if you got em.

RULE #1: Never buy a new tank. Always buy used. Same goes for equipment if possible

RULE #2: Sacrifice style for functionality

RULE #3: Always shop around

RULE #4: Always buy supplies at hardware/garden stores instead of aquarium stores if possible. In many cases household products work just fine.

RULE# 5: Be creative. Always try the new and unexpected. Be the first to do things that others haven't

Hope that this helps
Adrian

ChloroPhil
09-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks for those tips Adrian.

SmellsFishy0
10-18-2004, 02:58 PM
more people should add to this thread.........for us poor people ;D

Wolf_Mek
10-18-2004, 05:05 PM
DIY always works.... ;)

radafmd
10-19-2004, 01:07 PM
I think it would be nice to have a penny pinching thread that had several ideas for each item required to set-up a nice planted tank. Including but not limited to:
1. Substrate: Schultz aquatic soil?
2. Lighting: Can adequate lighting be supplied by a Hardware store setup?
3. DIY Wet/Dry
4. Pump: Home Depot water pump?
5. Hood/cover
6. Stand
7. Plants: I heard there is a web site that people sell their extra overgrowth.
etc...
Links and suggestions contained within one thread would be nice. Feel free to add to the list.

This may already exist and I appoligize if it does.
Lance

stygian7
11-14-2004, 01:07 AM
First time back since May. Thought I was going to have to sell my discus due to shorted school loans, but my appeal worked out.

Check out ebay. Lots of great used and homemade items on there. Be careful of shipping and watch their feedback.

gnatster
11-16-2004, 09:42 PM
7. Plants: I heard there is a web site that people sell their extra overgrowth.
etc...

Any of the planted tank forums have people that give away for the cost of shipping or for low prices their cuttings. However it is considered bad form to be seen as a plant begger.

My favorite www.aquaticplantcentral.com , but I am biased as I am a moderator there.

Others

www.plantedtank.com

www.plantgeek.com

EDGE
11-19-2004, 04:11 AM
4. Pump: Home Depot water pump?

Just a quick followup

If I remember correctly, Home Depot pumps are not energy efficient . You are better off spending a little more on mag drive pump for long term cost effectiveness.

Always consider the amount of energy consumption over the initial cost of the item. You will save more in the long run.

elgecko
11-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Just thought I would throw something I did to my discus tank to help hold the heat in. On the back of the tank and underneath, I have a homemade stand with an open bottom, I placed Insulfoam 1/2" x 4' x 8' Expand Polystyrene insulation.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=41503-10477-41503