PDA

View Full Version : H.O.T. Magnum 250 (How many gallons can it process)

Dzovi
09-17-2004, 03:52 PM
I recentally bough a fish tank from a friend including his old setup. Its a 55 gallon tank and the filter system that he has for the tank is a H.O.T. Magnum 250 GPH. I been trying to do research to see if this is an adequate filter system this tank. The box doesn't state it's specs and I can't seem to get a good answer from other websites. Also if I added a bio filter would that allow the original filter to have a larger capability? If anyone could help me out that would be great. Dominic

jeep
09-17-2004, 06:02 PM
I use the HOT for sediment only and it works great. I still have sponge filters. With the combination, the water is very clear...

Don_Lee
09-17-2004, 09:45 PM
I would say get a Aquaclear 300 and use the HOT too, and you will be in good shape!

Don ;D

Willie
09-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Different filter designs have different strengths and weaknesses. Canister type filters are very efficient at moving water against a filtration system. Their pumps will last decades given minimal care. So HOT Magnums and the like will do an excellent job of mechanical filtration. I use mine with the micron filter running constantly to keep the water polished.

However, because of their sealed design, canister filters are oxygen limited and biological filtration is equally limited. Ammonia cannot be converted to nitrite and nitrate without oxygen. They also do not pump a lot of oxygen into the water, which can really make the discus so much livelier. I recommend going with sponge filters or biowheels for biological filtration. A powerhead will provide good agitation.

Willie

RAWesolowski
09-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Willie,

Your aquarium water contains oxygen. Oxygen is added to water by current provided by the filter. When the water goes through the media in a cannister filter it sustains the bio-media in the filter. More oxygen means greater bacteria on your media so wet-dry filters are better than cannister filters.

Dom,

You can add bio-balls to your filter or any type of sintered material if it is bagged. Remember that it will take take to seed the bio-filter.