PDA

View Full Version : Red Eyes

dreamyfish
09-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi, I know this might sound strange, but my fish have clear (silver) eyes when the lights are off and red eyes when the lights are on. Last night, after the lights were out for about an hour (from the timer), I decided to do a water change, so I turned the lights back on and realized that the redness in the eyes, as well as the peppering, were gone from all the fish. I notice this when I first go into the fish room in the mornings. Is there something I can do with the lights (switch to a different kind of bulb) to make both these effects go away?

I saw an article about what to do about peppering, but it's strange that the peppering in the fish that I have only happens when the lights are on. Plus, I don't even know if it's peppering, since I am new to discus & keeping fry, not adults...I'm not sure what the qualifications are for peppering :).

I don't know if discus red-eye is like human red-eye (i.e. caused by eye fatigue from staring at the computer screen too long). I was thinking maybe their eyes were bothered by the lighting. None of the other fish in the room seem to have that problem, though (angels, guppies, neolamps).

Anyway, they seem happy & healthy regardless of this phenomenon...but I might just not know that they're suffering - but they seeeeeeem happy to me. Excuse the drama in my post, had a little too much coffee at work :).

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I apologize if there is already another post out there about this, but I searched and found nothing.

Carol_Roberts
09-17-2004, 06:09 PM
It's not the light. They have simply faded in color to more easily blend in with the background while "sleeping". When fully alert the color returns.

dreamyfish
09-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Oh, okay, that makes sense in the wild - so they wouldn't be spotted as easily by predators, I guess. Thanks Carol :).