PDA

View Full Version : Java Moss Question?

hexed
09-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Can anyone let me know why I cannot get Java Moss to grow in my tanks? All it does is die on me :(
I tried to get it to grow about 20 times but it turns brown and falls apart. I also tried tried other mosses but they just do the same. I even bought 3 of those "moss balls" and only one is living. Out of the other 2 one is dead and the other is half dead. My water is:
pH-6.4
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
temp-84
GH-3 drops
I tried to attach the moss to my small driftwood pieces and it died so I purchased a medium size driftwood with it already attached, but now I only have the driftwood with no moss LOL.

Mojo Trool
09-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Whats your Nitrate's reading? Also, how much lighting (wpg) you have on the tank?

ChloroPhil
09-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Hexed,

I'm willing to bet its your temperature. It's a high for most mosses, they like it sub 80. It could also be lack of Nitrate and too-dense "planting" when new. I lost a bunch of moss in the past by tying it to the wood in dense mats rather than nice and loose bits.

Best,
Phil

hexed
09-20-2004, 12:19 AM
I have Nutri Grow Plant Lamp bulbs in both strip lights and also in all my tanks. I haven't tested for nitrates because all the other plants are doing fine. I have tiger lotus, Red Lily bulb, Sword plants, Java Ferns, banana plants and 2 crypts. The sword plants are produing babies. I do have a problem with that brown algea but the mystery snails are eating that up. I tried the Java moss in my 10 gallon tank and it still dies in there and the temp is 78 degrees. In this tank I just placed a clump of it to see how it will do and it turned brown and died, yet the other few plants are doing great. I will have to check the nitrate level.

Mykiss
09-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Hi Hexed,

I agree with Phil, I have also had java moss in various temperature tanks and I found that it grows best in cooler temperatures, even at room temp. However, it must get at least some light and anything over 80 seems to kill it.
pt

hexed
09-20-2004, 06:31 PM
ThanOk, I guess it's the temp ;D
Thanks

Wahter
09-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I've had it growing in a tank with the temp of around 83°F, but the tank had some indirect sunlight and no "nutrient hog" plants: no stem plants, no sword plants, nothing that would outcompete the moss, just crypts, anubias, java fern, and bolbitis plants. Ever since I had to move that tank, the moss and bolbitis died on me. :-[