PDA

View Full Version : 400 Gallon Discus

krishnaraoji88
09-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a 400 g tank that I wish to turn from a saltwater FOWR into a discus tank (because the saltwater is eating into my house). I plan to scrub everything and to take everthing out so it looks like a new tank (with water of course). I want to use a wet/dry, I also have a UV sterilizer that I could use if it would be of help. My pumps together pump about 5000 gph but I can slow them down with a ball valve (I think). I want to get a few large pieces of driftwood and put the plants around that. I have 8 VHO flourecent 50/50 bulbs about 3 foot long. That is all I can think of right now, I will start posting potential stock list after my tank is verifyed ok:) I also have RO water and well water but I need to get my well tested for hardness as all my test kits are SW. I am going to have a substarte flourite mixed with sand, I plan to raise the discus in a 55 bare bottom until they are about 4in and then place them in the 400 g. I thought the lights were dim enough especially with the tank being 2 1/2 feet deep. I want to keep temp at about 84 degrees in the 400 and about 86-88 in the 55. I have heard some people say that pH really matters for these fish and others that say it just needs to be stable, what is the truth? How does this sound?

Namaste,
Krishna

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus!! Wow, a 400 gallon tank? Thats huge! The wet/dry and the UV will work fine for discus. As for the flow rate of your pumps, that is too fast. At that rate your turning the tank over almost 5 times an hour. You want it to be no more than 2-3 so as the current isnt to strong as discus dont like strong currents. pH doesnt matter, as long as it is stable is what counts. Several people here on the board are keeping discus in a pH of 8.5 or higher! The setup sounds really nice, just be sure to cut the flow rate way down. Any other questions just ask or browse through old threads.

Also, where are you located at? We might be able to suggest some local breeder's if your close enough to one.

-Ryan

discusfire4
09-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Krishna,

I have a 500 gallon salt that I swapped over to discus about a year ago. Clean everything real good and I would check to make sure your pumps are the type to handle the back pressure you want to control with the ball valves. I ditched my wet/dry, but I'm sure it will work just fine with your fresh water setup. I also scaled back my lighting. I had 440 w VHO and 4 MH., I don't even use the MH's any more. to distribute the flow on your filter, I simply tee'd off in three places over the top of the tank to distribute the flow over the entire tank. I'm over on DAAH more than here so if you have any questiosn about this, IM or post over on DAAH.! HTH! :) ;D 8)

krishnaraoji88
09-19-2004, 05:23 PM
I live in Ocala Florida (North Central, Near Gainesville) I was thinking of getting my discus from Mac's Discus as I really like the colour varieties he has and have heard some good things. I also was thinking of getting an assortment of discus from aquabid of just random colours. How many discus can I keep in my 400?

FloridaFishGuy
09-19-2004, 05:38 PM
I have 14 Pigeon Bloods that im selling for $200. There about 2.5" - 3". I live in Lake Mary FL. If you want a different variety talk to Dkarc.

krishnaraoji88
09-19-2004, 05:40 PM
I have not even got the tank set up yet:) But thank you anyways for the offer

discusfire4
09-19-2004, 07:03 PM
I would say 30 full grown discus with optium filtering conditions. I have two Ocean Clears, two fluidize bed filters, a 40 watt sterilizer, and change out about 100-125 gallons per week. I currently have 6 full growns and about 25- 4" discus, and 14 BN plecos.

If you are willing to drive to Athens, GA there's a good source of discus too. I think he ships. fishfarm i the name I think>

krishnaraoji88
09-20-2004, 03:35 AM
Could some people e-mail me feedback in regaurds to Mac's Discus at michaelrao@hotmail.com both positive and negative would be appreciated.

discusfire4
09-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Could some people e-mail me feedback in regaurds to Mac's Discus at michaelrao@hotmail.com both positive and negative would be appreciated.

http://discusasahobby.com/forum/index.php?topic=522.0

This link is a discussion on the vendor you are requesting.
I don't know if it is arestricted area or not. if it is, yu'll have to sign in on DAAH.

HTH

Ed

Larry Grenier
09-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Krishna,

Discusfire4 seems to be selling DAAH which is OK but you'll quickly find that this group is the best.

You don't really have to worry much about the breeder's or importer's location. I'm in Virginia and recently received Discus from Arizona. There are a few sources with links at the top of this page where you can't go wrong.

I personally wouldn't worry about sterilizing your tank. I don't believe there are many pathogens that infect a salt environment that will bother your new fresh water environment.

discusfire4
09-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Krishna,

Discusfire4 seems to be selling DAAH which is OK but you'll quickly find that this group is the best.

You don't really have to worry much about the breeder's or importer's location. I'm in Virginia and recently received Discus from Arizona. There are a few sources with links at the top of this page where you can't go wrong.

I personally wouldn't worry about sterilizing your tank. I don't believe there are many pathogens that infect a salt environment that will bother your new fresh water environment.

hey larry.... I dont remember seeing a buyer feedback on simply anywhere. if its on here I must have over looked it. If you find it, let me know. I'm just answering the request of this person and directed her to the buyer feedback area on DAAH. I don't think DAAH is better than Simply and Simply isn't better than DAAH or Aquaforums is better than Simply or Aquaforums is better than DAAH. Have I left anyone out? Just thrying to help someone out, just everyone else. ;)

krishnaraoji88
09-21-2004, 09:05 PM
A far as fish to put in with discus I have never kept these fish before so I do not know what can go with them so please dont be mad at this question, this is a list of fish I have looked into working with a planted tank and peaceful so if you can look through this and tell me which fish will not work and which will do okay. Thanks

Various Apistogramma sp. (Pairs)
Blue/Gold Rams
Veil Angels
Bettas (Trio)
Various Cory Cats
12 Giant Danios
24 Long fin Leopard danios
3 Blue Gouramis
3 Gold Gouramis
3 Pearl Gouramis
Dwarf Gouramis (Pair)
Honey Gouramis (Pair)
3 Oapaline Gouramis
3 Chocolate Gouramis
3 Sparkiling Gouramis
12 Hatchets
Various Killifish (Pairs)
2 Pictus Catfish
Clown Loach
Khuli Loach
Pakistani Loach
Long Fin Albino Bristlenose Pleco ( trio)
School of Blue Rainbows (the small ones)
12 Emporor Tetras
12 Diamond Tetras
50 Rummynose Tetras
1 Elephant nose fish
3 African butterflyfish
Paradise Fish

Cool, please tell me which ones to cross off as I do want this to be a discus community.Thank you.

Howie_W
09-22-2004, 10:35 AM
A far as fish to put in with discus I have never kept these fish before so I do not know what can go with them so please dont be mad at this question, this is a list of fish I have looked into working with a planted tank and peaceful so if you can look through this and tell me which fish will not work and which will do okay.

Having a community tank with Discus is a wonderful thing. That being said, getting some basic experience with some of the fish you intend to keep is extremely helpful before suddenly throwing them all together for the first time, as this can be a recipe for disaster.

Many of the fish you have listed are possible to keep with Discus, but may end-up developing agression problems with each other. Tetras are probably one of the most common species to keep with Discus, and will co-exist nicely (cardinals are my favorite). The one exception here are neons, as they often end-up as snacks for Discus.

You have to be careful with plecos as they can become very agressive and territorial, especially with the lights out.

Some of the fish listed can be kept with Discus, but will become agressive towards each other such as Rams, Danios, and apistogramma's (depending on which ones you place togther). Some of the larger species may also eat the smaller ones kept with them, such as the Elephant nose. You may also find that some species such as the killifish do not do best in the warmer temps, even though they may tolerate it.

A final thought is to take it slow, get some experience along the way, and never forget to quarantine all fish 4 to 6 weeks before mixing them together.

Howie

Anonapersona
09-22-2004, 10:41 AM
I'd not put danios in with discus. I've had danios that bullied peaceful cory cats out of eating, to the point of the cories dying I'm afraid.

But, I agree, start with the discus, get the expereince you need, before adding other fish.

You'll need to know that the other fish can handle the high temps that discus require (many cories cannot) and are not aggressive eaters, nor do you want fish that hunt in the night.

krishnaraoji88
09-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Just to let you know I have been keeping freshwater fish for about 10 yrs and have kept most of the species on my list befoe. I will scratch the danios as they are too agressive. Also what species of cories can take the heat (literally ;D)? How big of fish will the elephant noses eat? I am going to quarentine before adding them into the tank. Also what should I add first, the discus or the smaller fish?

Tad
09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
IMO if your going to add smaller fish like the rummynose then I would stock first with the smaller and then add the discus..
otherwise when you stock a tank filled with discus with smaller fish..they might be thinking your feeding them ;D...

At least that is the approach that I have used and it worked well,
JMO,
Tad

Larry Grenier
09-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Elephant nose fish rarely get over 9" in aquariums although much larger in nature. Their perferred diet is blackworms which are quite small. Their mouth which is above the "nose-looking" probe is relatively small so I wouldn't expect many fish are small enough for them to eat. Just my $.02 on elephant noses.

jaydoc
09-22-2004, 05:17 PM
If you choose to do this community tank it will look awesome but I think you may have trouble growing out discus in that environment. If possible, set up this beauty of a tank, gradually add various species to it and then add full grown discus. Adult discus are pricey so you might want to set up a seperate bare-bottom tank somewhere to grow out your discus. I have seen many pictures on this site and others of beautiful planted community tanks with stunted, heart shaped discus. In my opinion, folks got impatient and put there discus in a planted tank too soon and then had trouble getting them to grow. Just my observation. Keep us posted of your progress and include pics!

krishnaraoji88
09-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Oops.. I forgot to say that I am starting with small discus and growing them out in a barbottom 55 g at 86 farenheight. Sorry for any misconceptions I will do at least 3 99% waterchanges a week

Willie
09-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Scratch up angels and kuhli loaches. Not sure about the gouramis. Only certain Corydoras species can handle the heat. I've had good luck with

C. aneus
C. sterbai
C. robineii
C. adolfi
C. arcuatus

German rams are going to be real good. By the way, I don't think you'll be doing 99% water changes three times a week on this tank. You may want to rethink the planted bottom.

Willie

Owen
09-27-2004, 02:13 PM
By the way, I don't think you'll be doing 99% water changes three times a week on this tank. You may want to rethink the planted bottom.

I think he meant 99% water changes in the barebottom grow out tank. :)

krishnaraoji88
09-27-2004, 05:10 PM
I did mean the bare bottom, sorry for any confusion :o Jeane just come through here, had a bit of debris to clean up but nothing serious. My Prayers go out to anyone here who had any damage.

Cosmo
09-28-2004, 12:15 AM
400 and 500 gallon Discus Tanks ?? Geez, am I JEALOUS ;D

krishnaraoji88
10-01-2004, 07:15 PM
I gor my water tested and it has a pH of 7.2 and a KH (I think) of 10 is this okay for discus?

Howie_W
10-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi Krishna,

Your water parameters are fine. Most important is that your pH remains constant over time. If after 24 hours your pH drops, you should consider aging it before placing into your tank.

Howie

discusfire4
10-05-2004, 10:07 AM
You shouldn't have a drastic pH shift with a tank that big compared to a smaller tank. Just be sure and monitor and record it so you can monitor any such change in your water. hth