PDA

View Full Version : baby brine shrimp

heckelcrazy
09-19-2004, 08:58 PM
I know some of you use the inverted pop bottle with the airtube through a hole in the lid and cut the base off etc and I have tried this myself in the past also. However i SUCK at getting a decent collection of BBS to feed my fry and often feel like im feeding them more shell than bbs. Is there a fool proof /idiot proof method that even I cant screw up????

PLEASE HELP ME I AM TOTALLY USELESS AT GETTING BBS!

ARAN :P

Discusgeo
09-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Aran what I do is after I shut off the air I shine a light near the bottom of the jar. I wait a few minutes for the shrimp to swim to the light. What I do next is take a Syringe with a long piece of rigid tubing I attached to it and suck up the shrimp from the bottom. My Syringe is always full from shrimp. I can them squirt the shrimp very close to all my fry.

FarWaters
09-25-2004, 03:37 AM
As long as the hatching process is completed, turn down the air to just a bubble every few seconds. As soon as you are SURE the shells have separated from the shrimp (I use a magnifying glass to be sure) you can put a turkey baster directly into the middle of the bottle. As long as you don't stir up the sides and bottom, and put the baster in ready to suck you should come out with nothing but shrimp (again - I use a magnifying glass to be sure). After you do it for awhile you can get pretty good at it and becomes automatic. If anyone finds fault with this or has any suggestions - please let me know. It seems to work pretty well.

gary1218
09-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Aran,

Another alternative is to decapsulate the eggs first. This completely gets rid of the egg shell.

There's been recent posts on decapsulating brine shrimp eggs both here and on DAAH to get the info you need. Also check with Mench, I think he's trying it as well.

GARY