PDA

View Full Version : GFCI installation?

Lauren
09-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Well we've been trying to get an electrician in here and everyone we've called is to busy, or says they'll call back if they have the time and never do. Its a rather simple job I would think, but maybe thats the problem?

Anyways, we tried to install it ourselves, the outlets are on a line and we paid attention to the directions and in the end the outlet we installed the GFCI on worked, but the rest of the line (I'm assuming it must be down the line, as upline would not be affected? we were unsure which was the line went)didnt get any power at all. We tried reversing the load/line wires & none of them got any power at all. I know theres something we must be doing wrong, and this isnt something we wanted to even attempt ourselves but we've run out of options it seems ???'

Lauren

ronrca
09-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Im assuming your placing the GFI into an existing receptacle!?

#1 - How many pairs of wires (black/white) are coming into the box?
#2 - How many ground wires are in the box?
#3 - Did you find out which of the wires is the 'line' wire and which ones are 'load' wires?
#4 - Do you just want this one receptacle to be GFI or also the rest down stream?

;)

Lauren
09-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Existing

#1 - 2 pairs
#2 - 1 ground
#3 - nope ???
#4 - It would be preferable to go down the stream, but I bought enough to install in each outlet if need be

slicksta
09-23-2004, 01:31 PM
if you have the line and load reversed the the test and reset button will not work.
I assume you pushed the reset button after installing
If you have a tester....see which pair are hot...that is line.

ronrca
09-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Sorry for not getting back sooner!

If you do install the GFI correctly, you will not need the other receptacles to have GFI plugs.

As Slicksta mentions, find out which is the line wire! ;)