PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Pyramid

Condor
09-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Has anyone tried using those nutrition pyramids that disolve in the water to help grow out juveniles, or supplement for fish who are not eating properly? From what I can tell from the product labels, they disolve in the water and the fish get the nutrients without actually having to eat. Does this actually work?

Anonapersona
09-22-2004, 10:57 AM
NO -- they are made of plaster of paris and mess with your water parameters. Some can release food all a once. I've read too many times, in other fish forums, of people returning home to find all fish dead.

Better to let it go hungry, or pay a neighbor kid to come feed. For my tropical tanks, I tape a small wax paper envelope of food to the front of each tank. Each one contains a half days ration of flake or pellet or freeze-dry food. If a day is skipped and the next day they get two doses, no problem.

However, I'm not sure I'd do that for the juvenile discus, Grandma is coming to visit and feed fish (frozen cubes, small rations) for the next big trip and a friend will come change water every 3rd or 5th day, depending on nitrates.

Condor
09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the tip. Plaster of paris? There has to be a better way to make money than killing pet fish. Seemed like a good idea at the time.