PDA

View Full Version : Water parameters

Flyboy1515
09-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I am planning a 70 g (36"x 18"x25") discus tank.

I have a question about my tap water and how suitable it will be for discus. Out of the tap, the pH = 7.4, KH = 3 and GH = 8. From what I've read, discus perfer slightly more acidic water. But I've also read that as long as the pH is stable, then a pH slightly above 7 is ok.

Right now, I'm planning on having 5 discus and would like to start with juveniles, 2-3". Water changes will probably 3x per week. I would prefer not to age my water, due to space restrictions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding my water parameters. Thanks!

Webzilla
09-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Those water parameters are fine for discus. The most important thing is to maintain stability in Temp, PH. There are people here that keep Discus at higher PH's with no problems. Mine live fine at 7.6 no problems thus far. Aging water is required if your PH Drops out of the tap. They way you can test this is to get a large cup of water, airate it over night and test the PH after sitting there overnight. If the PH Drops then this is an indication that it is probably a good idea to age your water for waterchanges.

HTH.

John.....

Flyboy1515
09-30-2004, 09:05 AM
John, I wound up doing that test last night, as suggested from another forum (don't ask, I signed up at the wrong one ::)). I observed no change in the pH.

I thought my parameters would be fine, but I wanted to double check with those who actually keep discus. I find the practical experience of fishkeepers in general, to be more helpful than books and articles.

Thanks!

Webzilla
09-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Flyboy,

You will find no better place filled with knowledge then right here at simply. There are many, many, many experieced people that hang around here. If at any time you have complications or questions this would be the place ask.

Discus aren't that hard to keep, acutally they are pretty easy. Read the boards here and you will find any info you need.

HTH,

John......

Howie_W
09-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Hi Flyboy...Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I have a question about my tap water and how suitable it will be for discus. Out of the tap, the pH = 7.4, KH = 3 and GH = 8. From what I've read, discus perfer slightly more acidic water. But I've also read that as long as the pH is stable, then a pH slightly above 7 is ok.

Higher pH is not a problem. As long as your pH out of the tap remains stable that's fine.

Right now, I'm planning on having 5 discus and would like to start with juveniles, 2-3".

Young Discus do best in groups...consider starting with no less than 6 to 8 fish. If the group is too small, the pecking order may soon leave you with one fish constantly getting picked on. As the fish grow larger, you can always trade or sell a couple.

Water changes will probably 3x per week. I would prefer not to age my water, due to space restrictions.

IMO, water changes 3x per week for juveniles is inadequate. You'll find people perform a wide variety of water change amounts. For starters consider this; Young Discus need to be fed regularly throughout the day, and as a result will leave behind a considerable amount of feces in the tank. So, even without a daily large water change, it's best to siphon out their feces once a day, and also make sure to remove any uneaten food left behind...this goes a long way to keeping the water clean. Overall, the more water you change, the better growth results you'll get.

Regarding using straight tap water. If ph is stable that's great. If you are on your city water supply, there will be chloramines present in the water which in high concentrations can be harmful to your fish. Aging your water significantly reduces this concentration.

HTH

Howie

Carol_Roberts
09-30-2004, 10:03 AM
You have to be careful of low pH tap water. My moderately hard well water is 6.8 from the tap and RAISES to 7.8 after aeration. My discus are all swimming happily in pH 7.8 water. They are not happy if I try to do a 50% water change with 6.8 tapwater as the pH drop .5 in just a few minutes. Discus can not tolerate rapid drops in pH. They can tolerate raises in pH.

In some places with soft water the water company artificially raises the pH to protect the water pipes (from acid water). This product is quickly disipated and the pH will drop in your tank.

Your water should be stable with your GH and KH. I think you need to test your tank water every few days for a month or so (once you have fish in it) to make sure it is stable.

Flyboy1515
09-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Howie, thanks for the welcome! :)

Do you think that 6 discus in a 70 g (36"x18"x25") will be overstocked as they mature? I chose 5, trying to keep the bioload down AND I read in TFH that an odd number was better than an even number. I did read about the hierarchy with a dominant fish and the potential for the lesser fish to be picked on, but I thought 5 would be ok. If you think 6 would be better and not too much of a bioload, then that's fine.

I also thought that mature discus don't do as well being introduced to other adults, so I would be hesitant to sell/trade one or two. Does that make sense?

I do have chloramines in my tap and treat with Prime for my other tanks.

I'll also plan on more water changes as you suggest!

Carol, thanks for clarifying about the pH. :) I plan on testing the water quite frequently, initially. I like to make sure everythings going well and stable when first starting a new tank. Makes life easier in the long run!

oodi
09-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi Flyboy,

Your tank should be fine for 6 adult discus. A good guideline is 1 adult discus per 10 gallons.

As for your concern about adults meeting other adults... no need to worry. There may be some rearranging of the pecking order, but it's generally not a problem. So if you decide at some point to get a bigger tank or more tanks (and it will happen ;D )... have no fear. Just make sure you quarantine any new arrivals before mixing them with any existing fish.

Judi
:)

Flyboy1515
09-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi Judi,

I read (in a book) one discus/15 gal. But I think getting knowledge from a number of experienced aquarists is more valuble! ;D I am somewhat concerned that the footprint of the tank (36"x18") will be too small for 6 adults. Am I just being crazy? If the consensus is that 6 will be ok in this particular tank, then I won't worry. :)

And yes, I already have MTS...this tank will be my fourth...and if my wife has her wishes, my last. :o

Howie_W
09-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi Flyboy,

Of course you're crazy...that's why we're all here. ;)

Your tank size is fine and can easily accomodate more than 6 juveniles...if you want an odd number than go with 7! :)

Carol's advice is also extremely important...once you've made sure that your water from tap to tank remains constant this will help insure success. Also, for straight tap, treating with Prime works fine.

Howie

Flyboy1515
09-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi Flyboy,

Of course you're crazy...that's why we're all here. ;)

Ain't that the truth! LOL

Your tank size is fine and can easily accomodate more than 6 juveniles...if you want an odd number than go with 7! :)

Is the 70 g with that footprint ok for 6 adults though?

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-30-2004, 04:16 PM
A 70 gallon tank is more than enough for 6 adults.

-Ryan

Cosmo
09-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Flyboy,

I'm guessing your concern is surface area and gas exchange rather than merely gallons per fish?

Years ago I had 5 adults that lived to a ripe old age in a 55 gal tank w/ 624sq in surface area, or, about 125sq in/ fish. Your footprint gives you 648sq in, or, about 108sq in per fish w/ 6 fish. From a purely mathematical point of view it may be a little tight.

There are of course other considerations that come into play though, such as filtration, WC and cleaning schedule, and the amount of surface agitation produced by your filter returns / airstones, etc.

So, don't know if the math provides any answer or not, but you've got sufficient time to observe, test, and adjust if needed as they grow... in the meantime, enjoy their youth... sigh.. they grow so fast :)

Jim

Flyboy1515
09-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Ryan, thanks! :)

Jim, I wasn't so much concerned about the surface area/gas exchange issue. I actually thought I was OK there. I'm more concerned with a 3 foot x 1.5 foot tank and if 6 adults will be "comfortable" in that size tank. At the store, the tank seemed so "small" compared to what I would expect to see discus in.

As for filters, I have an AC300 and a Bio-Wheel 33O to start with. I plan on adding Hydro sponge filters, if necessary as the discus grow. I think that will provide enough filtration without creating too much of a current.