PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On tank

keithw
10-11-2004, 10:51 AM
I have a 180 gallon acrylic tank that was setup as areef tank for 2 years .I took it down and set it up fresh water . I have 1 large piece of driftwood in it and some plastic plants. Iwas wanting to put some discus in there I would like to know what the water parameters are and how many can I put in there.Can Iput Angels in with them. I have had a reef tank for 13 years and kinda new to fresh water.

Thanks Keith

Carol_Roberts
10-11-2004, 11:08 AM
What are your water parameters? Juvenile discus can be raise in a wide range of water hardness and pH - as long as it is stable. Mine are in GH 12 and pH 7.8. Water needs to be softened for breeders eggs to hatch.

You will find many good articles in the beginners index.

etr63
10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Keith

Welcome to Simply. You need to get test kits for Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte and PH. You will want to have the tank cycled before you add Discus. There is info on this forum for a fishless cycle. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=6357 You will want to test your tap water parameters rite out of the the tap then age your water for 24 hours with an air stone and test the PH again to see if it changes. You can use a cup of water with an air stone in it. does your water company add chloramine to the water if so you will need to use a chlorine remover like prime to get rid of it. I would start with 6 or 8 young discus in a bare bottom tank ( no gravel ). Discus are schooling fish and do better in groups. As for the Angels I dont keep anything in my discus tanks but discus. However some people do keep angels with there fish and maybe they can advise you on that.

HTH ( hope this helps )

Earl

keithw
10-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Im using ro water. My tap water ph is 7.8. My ph in my tank is 7.0 Ialready have 4 small angels 5 cardinal tetras 5 pricilla tetras 2 cory cats in there right now.I have gravel in there also.I dont now about the nitrite or amonna I have not got me the test kits yet . the tank has been up and running for 2 months now.

Cosmo
10-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Keith,

I'm like Earl, don't keep anything but Discus in with my Discus. Many years ago used to mix Angels w/ Discus and they coexisted well for the most part even though Angels can be more aggressive.

Things I've read lately though regarding Angels carrying some sort of bacteria (?) or something that Discus are susceptible to. Many books recommend you don't mix them, several people on the forum here say they do.

Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.. since I don't mix anymore I've never really bothered to follow up and learn what the details are..
Jim

Carol_Roberts
10-11-2004, 07:54 PM
You can not use straight RO water. For juveniles you want a higher GH (6+) and mineral content.

neo9
10-12-2004, 03:12 AM
i was just wondering
if u got a new larger tank say 55g with everything new.
could u just age the water and place the new discus straight in with a daily water changing routine?
would this be enough to reduce the nitrite and ammonia levels to a safe quantity?

neo,

Carol_Roberts
10-12-2004, 04:27 PM
It can be done, but you have to change large amounts of water (maybe 100% or more total per day) You can not miss a day.

A fully cycled filtration system in good insurance.

keithw
10-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Carol
Im adding tap water back in to get the ph to 7 and using stress coat to remove the chlorine. im thanking about taking the waste water from the ro and using it to get the ph back up. Im using a wet dry filter. Why do they say to go with a bare bottem tank. My tank is a180 gallon in the wall behind my couch in my basement that I redone 3 years ago and that is my tv room now. I had this setup as areef tank that done very well. I have had a reef tank for 12 or more years. I got out of that 2 mouths ago to save some money on my electric bill. I had 5 to 6 pumps running on all the reactor and stuff and two 250 watt halides. I like the discus and try to ask qustions and learn a little before I get some thats why im asking all you what I need to do.

Thanks Keith

Carol_Roberts
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi Keith:
To get the best growth on juvenile discus you have to feed heavily and keep the water really, really, clean. (Think of the tank as a glass feeding trough.) You only have a few months to get optimum growth.

Don't worry about the pH. Your tap water pH (after aging )is probably just fine for juveniles. Do not worry about lowering hardness or GH. Juveniles actually grow faster in moderately hard water.

Do worry about keeping the water stable - same pH and temperature. The secret to growing big healthy discus is plenty of fresh, clean water, clean tanks, clean filters and lots of good quality food.

If you want plants and gravel I'd grow them out in a bare botttom 55 and then trasfer them to the 180 as adults.

Truelies
10-13-2004, 02:50 AM
As per your saying that you already keeping some fish in your tank for more than 6 weeks, if so then your tank should be cycled. You can check that by testing your nitrate level. High nitrate means that you certainly have a cycled tank. Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic. And I would agree to separate the discus from other fish.

Good luck.

Truelies

keithw
10-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks all of you for your help any other info you can give me you can post it here or email me