PDA

View Full Version : New planted tank for beginners idea

RyanGSP
10-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Well i have taken into account on how hard it is too keep discus in a planted tank if you are a beginner. But like most beginners i wanted to start out with a nice show peice. So i have thought of something here. What if you were to plant the plants in their own pots. And have a BB tank. When it is time to change water you could just pick the pots out of the tank and vacum the aquarium. Place the post back in. When the plant substrate gets dirty you can just clean it with out fouling the tank. Now as for plants that spread fast like vals and those "carpet" type plants you could find pots that are thinner, longer and wider than other pots. You woudl get the same look but it would be alot cleaner. As for drift wood you could tie plants to the wood. What are your thoguhts on thsi. Help me tweke this so it will work. Thanks.

jratuszn
10-17-2004, 12:24 PM
That's what I'm doing in my tank. I also made a foam/cement background that looks like rocks for the back of the tank, and I have a bunch of terrestrial plants growing on that to pull out waste. It looks nice, but is still easy to clean.
Good idea using shallow pots for vals- mine are starting to send runners out of the pot, and I was wondering what to do.

-J

RyanGSP
10-17-2004, 06:36 PM
I was thinkign using a 3 inch pot and just keep wraping the runners around the main stem then everntually you will get a realy nice looking set of vals that you could place infront of a heater or an airhose or whatever. 8)