PDA

View Full Version : Non drilled overflow

Cosmo
10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
In response to Lauris's "water physics" post nearby, Roncra provided a link to a Killifish site that explained how to make an overflow w/o drilling thru the glass by using an air break.. since I'm still having trouble working up the courage to drill my glass 20hi breeding tanks I was thinking of trying this :P

Anyone ever done this ?? any pros or cons ??

Thanks,
Jim

mikeos
10-19-2004, 04:48 AM
If its the one on the AKA site then I will let you know in a couple of weeks. I intend to try one as a sump outlet with a drip system....we will see ;D

Tried it to test the principal & it worked fine, but in real life ...???

Cosmo
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks Mike.. If I get the time I'm going to try a modified version for a breeder tank this weekend.. I'm thinking I'd rather have the inlet pointing up w/ a sponge prefilter sticking mostly out of the water so I'l have to add a couple more 90's and maybe run it the length of the tank. Let me know what you find out and I'll let you know too :)

Jim

mikeos
10-19-2004, 05:45 PM
cool, will do.

babyjess210
10-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Mike , Cosmo

Please keep us posted on your project (pics please-headache from reading post all day on simply ;)). I'm also trying to do something like that.

Cosmo
10-20-2004, 11:03 PM
having doubts about my idea of modifying the design.. thinking that by adding another 2 90's and pointing the intake up as an overflow may cause the syphon to break in the tube rather than outside the tank at the T connector.. if so, it won't restart as the water level rises and a flood would result :(

Any thoughts on this?
Jim

mikeos
10-21-2004, 04:22 AM
As long as the inlet end is 2" or so below the air break (tee) on the outlet you should be fine, in theory..try it you can always remove the elbows

GulfCoastDiscus
10-21-2004, 07:04 AM
Hey Jim and Mike,
I found this design a long time ago. I never use use it. I drilled all my tanks. :)

Dan

GulfCoastDiscus
10-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Out of the water. I knew someone that have use it and said it works great. You have to prime the pvc.

GulfCoastDiscus
10-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Here a smaller version. This one is made from 1/2" pvc for smaller tanks. The height of the water in the tank will be determine by the overflow height of the pvc. Remember pvc does not have to be glued if it's going to be underwater.

Dan

GulfCoastDiscus
10-21-2004, 07:13 AM
another pic. Don't forget to prime the pvc. :)

Cosmo
10-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey Dan... thanks a bunch for the pics!! Looks like what I had in mind except I'm thinking of adding a sponge prefilter that'll stick out of the top (easy cleaning)..

Have a tank on the workbench... diamond tipped hole saw.. but from what I've heard from others on the forum it's not as easy as it sounds ??? Did you use a drill press, or make a form to stop the bit from walking ??

Would prefer to drill, but :scared:

Jim

GulfCoastDiscus
10-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi Jim.

I drilled all my tanks and it's really easy. I drilled all of them on the inside, short side. I added water inside to keep the drill bit cool. I start at an angle the slowly go to 90 degrees. Go slow and let the drill bit do the work. Don't push on the drill and drill at a slow speed.
If you need any clarification feel free to call. My number is on the website.

Dan

aggie_67
10-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Jim,

I made a form to hold mine, don't know if its age or what but when I tried the "angle start" the bit wandered all over the place.

Say form, but it was only a scrap piece of Pergo flooring with the proper size hole (make it snug.) Then I used a putty ring on the bottom. Served 2 purposes, made a water holding dam and anchored the pergo so it didn't slip around.

I also put a scap of Pergo on the inside, braced with a board so it was snug against the glass. This prevented chipping when the bit broke through.

mikeos
10-22-2004, 08:54 AM
wish I could find some reasonably priced crowns over here, last time I looked was about £120-130GB for 1.25", hardly worth it unless I start making my own. As I have a supplier about 80miles away who makes and drills tanks cheaper than I can buy the glass.....£65 for a 48x18x18 inc drilling....

Cosmo
10-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks guy :) this gives me much more confidence.. I was thinking of something similar to what you did Aggie.. but I'll probably give you a call tomorrow Dan and see if I can work it that way... less work ;D

Jim

Cosmo
10-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Dan & Aggie..

cut the first one.. no problems :) Since I'm older than aggie.. I think.. figured I'd try the mold bit first instead of second :)

used 3/8 plywood, but a hole, then cut a water channel too..
posted pics under cut one - three to go..

Thanks again guys... and Dan, thanks for the generous offer to call... will do that one of these days soon just to say HI ..

Jim

GulfCoastDiscus
10-23-2004, 12:05 PM
No problem Jim. I'm glad it all worked out for you. :)

Call anytime.

Dan

raglanroad
11-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Maybe it would be better without the sponge prefilter. The prefilter keeps the crap in the tank, with nothing there it comes out of the tank and you can use a removable filter after it leaves the tank, that's one reason I like a sump instead of in the tank filters. If I understand correctly..

Cosmo
11-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey Rag... :)

I'm setting these tanks up as breeders w/ a continuous drip system. The overflows drain directly into the drain so the prefilters are there to prevent any fry from becoming sewage :( Even on a normal filter setup though, I've got prefilters on the intakes cause it's easier to clean the prefilter sponges than it is the main filters..
Jim

Polishdude
11-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Hi all um new to this discuss stuff, in fact i dont even have discus yet since im building a 75g dinscuss tank but i recently completed my hang on overflow which works great and its 100% leak as well as overflow safe. i will post picstures soon.

delanco
12-28-2005, 01:45 AM
What do I have to do to see the pictures?

CAGE-RATTLER
12-28-2005, 03:04 AM
What do I have to do to see the pictures?

Unfortunately theres nothing you can do.

If you'll notice .... these posts are over a year old and when this forum made some changes awhile back ...... the photos didnt transfer over.

Theres alot of posts with great info but unfortunately alot of missing pics that would have made them even better.

dishpanhands
12-31-2005, 09:54 AM
hey i posted a picture of a set up that you can make to do WC, or if you uses larger pipe it would work as a overflow.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=46746&page=3

Ceahorse
02-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I build one like this.. works like a charm. but doesn't sit very well. and it quite ugly.. I needs to be at least 1" PVC.. for my 2400L/H pump

Ibanez540r
02-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I had a thread going recently you may find interesting. On the second page you can also see my design. May help or give you idea's. And if anyone wants one, I made a bunch of extras I could ship out.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68324