PDA

View Full Version : CUT ONE ... three to go

Cosmo
10-23-2004, 10:51 AM
well... held my breath and took the plunge... not alot of choice though, the pairs are getting rambuntioius (spelling?) and had to get the breeders setup :)

Used a variation of the instructions that came with the bit fro Jehmco and ended up with a nice clean hole.. no cracks!!!

Cut two pieces of 3/8 plywood to just about the same size as the glass side, drilled a 11/8 hole thru one piece, then cut a water channel from the hole to the edge... sandwhiched the glass between the wood with clamps, ran a water hose right up to wher the channel entered the hole... and slowly .. and with much trepidition.. began drilling.... took a lot longer than I expected, but finally cut thru :) :) :)

Now.. just have to paint the tank and cut the others :(

Jim

Cosmo
10-23-2004, 10:56 AM
wood removed

aggie_67
10-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Looks good, first ones always the toughest.

Cosmo
10-23-2004, 07:47 PM
thanks aggie ! second one came out better :) 2 to go..
Jim

susankay1
10-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Way to go Jim. I drilled 4-75 gallons and (knock on wood) didnt crack a single one. Hubby got us a drill press just for this project and it worked out wonderfully. Makes draining a big tank so much faster and easier. I can scoop poop and drain 4 of them to half in 15 minutes or less. Makes the work portion of keeping discus much easier. Keep up the good work!!!!

Ardan
10-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Good job Jim! 8)

Cosmo
10-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Happy Sunday :)

Thanks Susankay & Ardan.. and.. everyone else too :) Good hubby you got Susan.. lol

4 out of 4 drilled now and not a single crack.... yeah!! Almost finished with the painting, then just have to .. just? ... fashion the overflows and connect it all to the drain.. lol

Appreciate all the help and support :)

Jim

Cosmo
10-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Susan,

I have my big acrylic tanks w/ plumbed in drains and yes it sure does make maintenance a whole lot easier and quicker :) The 20's are for breeders so these holes are for overflows since the plan is to have a drip water feed system too.. wondering if I should tempt the gods and drill more holes for drains ?? lol

Nah.... I may be crazy, but thankfully not that crazy ... lol

Jim

RandalB
10-24-2004, 02:33 PM
You make me sick Jim.

When you are done with yours come over and do mine... I tried 3 tanks and cracked all 3...

RandalB

Cosmo
10-24-2004, 03:33 PM
lol.. Randal.. could be beginners luck :)

Would be more than happy to come over and give you a hand any way I can when you're ready to start work on your garage fishroom... hopefully mine will be done by then :)

Jim

susankay1
10-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Hey Jim, what do you think of Bill's drain tree? I think it's pretty cool, and it works really well too. He put in 1 1/2 x 3/4 reducers on the bottom so that the clear tubing would fit real tight and not leak from the top drain water running past. He's so clever!!!

ronrca
10-25-2004, 09:53 AM
;) :thumbsup:
Jim,
That is fantasitic! You have given me hope now to attempt to cut my own holes also! Im really happy that it worked for you and thanks for the pics! ;)