PDA

View Full Version : Vortex vs. HOT Magnum

bikhu
11-09-2004, 09:33 PM
HI~
So here's the deal... I have 5 tanks ranging in size from 30 - 60 gals. I use AC fliters in combination with sponge filters but I want to be able to polish the water (okay I admit it I am a little bit obsessive compulsive... okay okay I'm a freak but nonetheless...). I was thinking of a Vortex Diatom Filter but have heard scary things about the complexity of using it. I have heard that HOT Magnum with the micron sleeve does as great job but I am not sure if it is applicable in the same capacity in terms of portability from one tank to the other. Does anyone have any experience they can share to ease my suffering? Thanks
peter

jeep
11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
I have no experience with the Vortex, but I really like the HOT's.

They do a great job at polishing the water and are easily transferable form tank to tank...

Ronald
11-09-2004, 09:51 PM
I have both.

The Vortex does do a better job, but at the same time it is a bit harder to handle. And when you got your first batch of powder inside the tank thats when you get real mad. lol.

The HOT does a great job also and is realy easy to handle.
In rare cases I still use the Vortex but only if needed real bad.
I Know I am lazy lol.

Ronald

Ronald
11-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Forgot to mention,

The HOT is much easyer regarding portability.

Ronald

korbi_doc
11-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Ok, Peter, I know guys, I've stated this before ad nauseam, the Hot Mag is definitely the way to go for easy, quick, portable!!!! That said however, the Vortex is still the winner if you have a "real" problem, & does, as Ronald said, a better job all-round. I've been there when it was a necessary piece of equipment & I was able to put it up & relax, knowing the result would be what I wanted. So, I have both, use both, depending on what is necessary at the time. Fortunately, lately, haven't had too many "mistakes". Right now in fact, one of the "Hots" is running full time on a cichlid tank, lol, Dottie

Solved the "powder in the tank" problem with a green conical shaped plastic 14" flower holder that has a straight handle that sits over the tank. Put both inlet & outlet in the cone with water & powder 'til its all in the filter, then just lower the plastic cone & "voila" the tubes are in the tank & nothing is spilled...Got it in a supermarket in Pa. Any that have flower depts should have'm

Frankr409
11-10-2004, 12:37 AM
HI~
So here's the deal... I have 5 tanks ranging in size from 30 - 60 gals. I use AC fliters in combination with sponge filters but I want to be able to polish the water (okay I admit it I am a little bit obsessive compulsive... okay okay I'm a freak but nonetheless...). I was thinking of a Vortex Diatom Filter but have heard scary things about the complexity of using it. I have heard that HOT Magnum with the micron sleeve does as great job but I am not sure if it is applicable in the same capacity in terms of portability from one tank to the other. Does anyone have any experience they can share to ease my suffering? Thanks
peter

It is funny you should post this today, as I made the decision over the weekend that I would replace my Vortex filter ASAP with either a HOT magnum, or a Magnum 350. I decided to go with the Magnum 350.

I mostly used my Vortex to clean substrate and for occasional polishing. For polishing I give the vortex an A+ but I would trade slightly less polishing quality for ease of use. I encountered the following problems with the vortex.

1. Difficult to prime, despite following directions to the tee.
2. Stock hoses are way too soft and collapse easilyduring use, resulting in diminished water flow.
3. The output hose will seperate easily from the output tube because of improper fit. This actually happened to me and I was damn lucky to be there when it did. This also seems to be the source of leakage so it is necessary to run the filter as it sits in a cooking pot so as to keep water off my wood floor.

My Vortex filter will probably get an overhaul and some stiffer hoses and I will keep it for occasional water polishing to further compliment my other filters. I will use the Magnum for full time mechanical/chemical/polishing duties as well as bottom cleaning. The vortex is a nice filter in concept, but those hoses are really sorry.

I'm also running an Eheim 2229 and a Eheim 2026 on my 125 g so I guess I qualify for the "Clean Freak" title also.

April
11-10-2004, 12:49 AM
i tried a vortex once..i of course didnt do it quite right..and my tank was all powdery.
then i had a magnum 350. there was always that fear the hoses would come off. which of course did happen a few times..well..half the tank siphons out extremely fast..all over the floor.oh and starting it wasnt quite as easy as the hot magnum
now..i have a hot magnum hang on the back. so easy..no priming..push the button and vroom off it goes. no floods..no powder..easy as pie. i vote for the hot magnum

Ronald
11-10-2004, 01:38 AM
LOL Dottie,

Where was your post as I started to use the Diatom hehe.
It took me a few times but eventually I came up with the same Idea to prime that thing. :confused:
That’s the only way to go :D

Ronald

calogyroscari
11-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I use hot magum full time on all my tanks . their great.

bikhu
11-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Not much of a debate that I can see....
Thanks everyone for your input... Looks like I will be ordering a HOT Magnum....
Peace!
p

raymb1234
02-21-2005, 10:51 PM
I have a HOT Magnum, Magnum 350 and a Vortex Diatom XL. All are good filters for polishing the water. Only the Vortex will clean up an algae bloom. It won't get rid of the cause of the bloom but your water will stay clear. I have a problem with phosphates, which caused an algae bloom. The phosphates are going down slowly with water changes every other day, meanwhile the Vortex is keeping my tank clear. I use it for a couple of hours every 3 or 4 days. Later, Ray

samcatj
02-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I have a vortex xl that works really well once you get it all hooked up and running.

The design work of this product leaves much to be desired.

JMO

Samcatj

RickMay1
02-24-2005, 06:32 PM
look, if your going to be moving it from one tank to another, buy a system one. the others are crap.

lldewe
02-28-2005, 03:38 PM
I also like the HOT magnum. BUT a question, so if the carbon inserts aren't good for the discus, what does everyone use inside instead? I don't really like the bio filter that comes with it. Ideas??

Thanks!
Lorie

bikhu
03-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Well I finally got my HOT Magnum. My plan is to only use it for portable water polishing. I got it and put it together with just the micron sleeve and I am sooooo pleased. IT did a great job on all of my tanks in next to no time. I am really pleased with this purchase. MY wife was confused when I told her I wanted to get a filter to clean the water more. In her understanding it seemed that daily water-changes, wiping down the glass and siphoning the bottom was doing the trick (not to mention squeezing out the sponges and all that stuff that she doesn't see or notice). I called her in to look after I had done 2 of the tanks and she was amazed at what a difference it made! Yup... The only thing that could please me more would be another tank and more fish......

Spices
04-25-2005, 01:28 AM
I like how the vortex XL crystalize the water. I now have crystalized water with only a minimum of 20 minutes or less of recycling water from the vortex XL. I too find it annoying with the small leakage from the output tube. May have to get a clamp to have the output tubing fit over the output sprout. And, yes, the instructions that came along with it was more annoying than anything else. Why couldn't they inform us that the straphandle should be looped first before installing the tubings??? AND, the fact that the strainer is to fit vertically, that the tubing does not fit all the way into the strainer (only a small part of the tubing belongs in the strainer). I had a hard time with this one folks. LOL I was trying to see if I can get it all in the strainer and even make it go horizontal (as they said could happen). I don't know about that one. LOL Their instructions was a bit goofy. Sort of like one will have to read thru it first before finding out that what the instructions were for was the model you don't have. LOL That's a trip. :D

*Angie*

lauris
04-26-2005, 04:43 PM
i have a vortex and am not sure if i would prefer throwing it off a high building or running it over with my truck.

Spices
05-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I like how the vortex XL crystalize the water. I now have crystalized water with only a minimum of 20 minutes or less of recycling water from the vortex XL. I too find it annoying with the small leakage from the output tube. May have to get a clamp to have the output tubing fit over the output sprout. And, yes, the instructions that came along with it was more annoying than anything else. Why couldn't they inform us that the straphandle should be looped first before installing the tubings??? AND, the fact that the strainer is to fit vertically, that the tubing does not fit all the way into the strainer (only a small part of the tubing belongs in the strainer). I had a hard time with this one folks. LOL I was trying to see if I can get it all in the strainer and even make it go horizontal (as they said could happen). I don't know about that one. LOL Their instructions was a bit goofy. Sort of like one will have to read thru it first before finding out that what the instructions were for was the model you don't have. LOL That's a trip. :D

*Angie*

Does anyone knows how much diatomaceous powder should be installed in the jar (for a reload or recharge)?

I stated in my previous post on top that the instructions were a bit ackward. Not exactly in order of sequence. Tonite I decided to reload or recharge the filter but when I looked again to see how much DP I needed, I didn't read it in the book. BUT there is a sticker that goes attached to the jar which states the water level needed.

If anyone knows please share. Thanks! *Angie*

P.S. Also it would be nice if they would include the piece for the sink washer which attaches to the hose to do a backflush. I used my python's sink washer and had to do a makeshift backflush in order to remove the filth in the jar. :)