PDA

View Full Version : ? about Wilds purchased at LFS

jc63
11-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I bought a wild from a lfs, my 1st, and I have some questions about where to keep it once its finished quaranteen.What I know about it is that it came from seagrest farms and that it is a wild. It is around 4 to 5 inches and looks to be in good health.I have had it for 1 week in a 30 gal BB tank with 3 - 1.5 inch domestic discus that I had purchased 3 weeks prior from a different Lfs.
My observations so far are the sm domestics seem to be much more agressive eaters and more eager to come to the front of the tank when I enter the room.They all interact with each other very well, although the 3 domestics seem to be more worried about each other and the pecking order amougst themselves. Also I have noticed that the wild is a very fast and strog swimmer.That being said her are some of my questions.
Should I put the wild with my adult domestics once it is finished quaranteen,approx 2 to 3 months from now? I would like to add it there because it would be closer in size, or would it be harased by my larger adult domestics? I'm not looking for a specific answer to a general question just some input from some of you who have experience with wilds.Thanks for your input. I will try and take a picture and post it but I'm not sure how to do that yet.I will also will elaborate more if needed but this is already a long post

Tad
11-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Should I put the wild with my adult domestics once it is finished quaranteen,approx 2 to 3 months from now? I would like to add it there because it would be closer in size, or would it be harased by my larger adult domestics? I'm not looking for a specific answer to a general question just some input from some of you who have experience with wilds.Thanks for your input. I will try and take a picture and post it but I'm not sure how to do that yet.I will also will elaborate more if needed but this is already a long post

JC,
I have put domestics with my wilds and had no problems, obviously putting in new fish into an established heirarchy or pecking order may upset the balance for awhile but they soon settle in and all should be fine. Its also a good practice to put fish of a similar size together. The key to any "Newly purchased" fish introduction be it wild or domestic is following a good quarantine practice. With my wilds (no matter the source) I quarantine them for at least 8 weeks. IMO you should have no problems adding your wild to your domestic tanks based upon similar size and going though a proper quarantine with your new wild.
From my experience my wilds like a lower PH somewhere around neutral of 7PH or less, it seems they have better color and are with more vigor, but there are collectors who will keep their wilds in higher PH's. Something to consider.
best of luck,
Tad

Heres a pic of my wild tank with its "one" current domestic roomate :) (The Alenquer cross pictured far right in the picture)

jc63
11-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I plan to keep the wild along with the other 3 domestics quarantined for the next 3 months inthe 30gal BB tank.I have some fake plants and a piece of driftwood in the tank also.After that time I plan to put the wild in my 65gal tall planted tank.This tank is well esablished and balanced for over 3 years.Approximately 2 1/2 yrs ago I went around and bought 6 different discus, all 1 to 1 1/2 in. from different Lfs.I raised them in my planted tank with the fish I had in there and still do.Back in july I gave my brother 3 of the discus.I saw this wild and decided I would like to put it with the other adult discus.They are 2 pb males and 1 blue something female.I know this because they have been laying eggs since feb. of this year,about every 3 weeks.In that time the female has paired up with both pb males, but the past month she has stayed with the one I have pictured in my avitar.Almost always the fry get to the free swimming stage but never seem to attach to either parent.But I am not trying to breed discus,so I let them do their thing and provide them with the best conditions possible.Other tankmates are 15 cardinals,12 rummynose,5 corey's,2 farawallas,2 pitbull plecos,8 ottos, and 2 butterfly shrimp.The water parameters are 0 amonia,0 nitrite,2 kh,8 gh,5.8-6 ph. I just took some pics. of the wild and other discus in quaratine. I have never posted with attached pics., so I'm not sure how to do this. hope they come out.