PDA

View Full Version : filter

migs26
11-23-2004, 12:52 AM
what filter do you use?

i uses an overhead filter powered by a 500 gph powerhead, aside from 2 sponge filter in my 75g tanks.

a attach a PVC tube to the output of the filter extending it to the bottom of the tank - to minimize the water current.

but i think my discusstill doesnt like the current ...but i dont want to use sponge filter alone. i want to minimize the frequency of my WC..i hope to do it for 3x a week max...i also want to use the power filter to filter out the detritus and left-overs...

i know you guys would suggest me to get rid of the powerfilter and stick to sponge filter and do more frequent WC..

will my setup work ?

RyanH
11-23-2004, 01:00 AM
I use just plain old AquaClears and sponge filters on my tanks.

Unfortunately, there is no filter that will replace water changes.

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2004, 01:49 AM
I suggest you get rid of the powerfilter and stick to sponge filter and do more frequent WC.. ;)

Cosmo
11-25-2004, 12:40 AM
500gph is pretty strong current to be putting into a Discus tank.. if you feel you must keep it, or something like it though.. try running the pvc along the top back of the tank with holes drilled through it to create a spraybar, this will dissipate the current from one strong jet to numerous smaller ones.. I have spraybars on all my returns and have very little current in the tanks ..
probably better going to a smaller powerhead though too if you can..

JeffreyRichard
11-26-2004, 10:05 AM
what filter do you use?

i uses an overhead filter powered by a 500 gph powerhead, aside from 2 sponge filter in my 75g tanks.

a attach a PVC tube to the output of the filter extending it to the bottom of the tank - to minimize the water current.

but i think my discusstill doesnt like the current ...but i dont want to use sponge filter alone. i want to minimize the frequency of my WC..i hope to do it for 3x a week max...i also want to use the power filter to filter out the detritus and left-overs...

i know you guys would suggest me to get rid of the powerfilter and stick to sponge filter and do more frequent WC..

will my setup work ?

Water changes should be a function of how high the biomass is in your tank and how much dissolved metobolics are in the water. A lightly stocked 75 gallon tank and a light feeding regiment can easily be maintained with 3 large water changes per week. If, however, you have a large biomass, say over 12 young quarter size fish or 4 adults, you'll need to change the water more frequently to maintain water quality. What is an overhead filter?

You could add 2 more sponges and have an adequate amount of filtration IMO ...

April
11-26-2004, 02:40 PM
i have an overhead filter i made. sounds similar to what he may have. i have a powerhead that goes up into a large flat rubbermaid on top of the tank instead of a lid .mines a plexi tank. then..a hole in the bottom of the rubbermaid at the other end to go back into the tank. in there i have large porous sponge the water runs over to the other end. and my coral under it and floss on top the water runs onto. it helps me keep lots of bacteria. i have a 100 gallon with 12 largish discus and with my very soft water my ph can dive fast. works for me..but i still need to do alot of water changes with 12 big discus in there. i do 80 percent each time. and daily is best. i still have hydros in the tank.
the main reason i do this is for somewhere to put my coral or oyster shells.