PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 404 & Discus!!!

RedestWing
11-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Just Curious how many use the Fluval with their Discus Tanks. I went to a lfs past weekend and they had a clearence sale on the 404 for $42.00. They were no longer going to sell them cause they say no one will pay the $179.99 for them.
I have read many articles that the Fluvals do not perform like they should. That people have wraped up the media baskets and the water by-passed them? Correct me if I am wrong, but wont the water for sure by-pass since its being blocked? Also, what Media do you use with them besides the Bio-Max and Sponge?

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2004, 12:10 AM
I purchased the Fluvals when they first came out with this model. I used them for about 6 months. I constantly had problems with my fish, with planaria, and with thread worms in the tank. No problems with the Aqua clear tanks so I switched all the tanks to the Aqua Clears and put the Fluvals in the closet. My fish are all healthy and no more planaria, thread worms, etc.

mattrox
11-24-2004, 07:13 AM
I use a fluval and have had no filter problems at all. I use the ceramic noodles and the scintered glass noodles (I can't remember the proper names). I also use filter floss. I put the floss in the baskets and it and the sponges collect gunk..... so I know it works.

If too much media is jammed into the baskets it will buckle them. (Too much can sometimes be a bad thing.)

I'm like mine ..... workes well and I find it easy to maintain.

DarkDiscus
11-24-2004, 09:10 AM
I don't care for canisters in general and Fluvals in particular. Way too much work to keep clean. Plus mine always had problems with their seals and would leak unless I re-sealed them again and again.

Some do have success with them, however.

John

JeffreyRichard
11-24-2004, 11:01 AM
I have a fluval 303 on my 55 Gallon Planted Show Tank ... other than the fact it broke down after 5 years and needed to be replaced, I haven't had any problems with it. Quality is fine with Fluvals IMO.

JeffreyRichard
11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
I don't care for canisters in general and Fluvals in particular. Way too much work to keep clean. Plus mine always had problems with their seals and would leak unless I re-sealed them again and again.

Some do have success with them, however.

John

I only clean mine when the flow drops to almost nothing ... the function of my fitler is a biological filtration unit, not a mechanical unit.

jim_shedden
11-24-2004, 11:27 AM
I have a 404. It is a lovely flower pot...........Sorry....thats how I feel.

Jim

RedestWing
11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Well, the only thing I seem to not like is the hose set-up. Seems a lil odd how they have it. By the way, Wheres the on/off switch....lol!