PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep them from picking on the other ones?

alvaro1983
11-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi. I'm sure someone's probably already asked this but could someone give me any creative ideas or just send me to where I could get some info. I have 5 discus right now in my tank from 3"-4.5" with 3 angels but there's these two pairs that keep going at it all day. I used to have a big 6"+ discus who kept things under control in the tank but he died some weeks ago so now it's all the juves by themselves. One of the two bigger ones just won't leave the other alone and I don't know what to do. They're both the same size but the one backs down all the time. He'll even go all the way across the tank just to bother him (He just did right now!!). The smaller ones are pretty restless too. The smaller one picks on another one but not as bad. The other day he made him go under the logs with the catfish and even the catfish was giving him business down there! I guess this is normal for fish but is there something I could do to give the other ones some help, maybe some courage!? The angels pretty much just fight with each other but leave the discus alone. Even my small female betta pushes around two of the smaller discus, I think it's funny but I got a little worried when I saw him with the catfish. Anything I can do about it? Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2004, 06:50 PM
You can try a divider. Or you can try putting the mean discus in solitary confinement for a few days or weeks then adding him back to the other fish.

Cosmo
11-24-2004, 08:53 PM
part of the issue is also probably the natural re-ordering of the pecking order. When the big fish (alpha fish, or, top dog) died, the battle began to replace the king

Barb Newell
11-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Try adding some clay pots so they can stake their territory.

Barb