PDA

View Full Version : Questions on sand

Condor
11-26-2004, 01:43 AM
I have always wanted a sand substrate, but never used one due to these concerns. Wondered if anybody had any ideas

1. Filters: I have two filters on my tank (75), a fluval 204 and a penguin 170. I was worried that the fluval would suck up sand that got stirred up because the intake is near the bottom of the tank. Would this be a problem?

2. Cleaning: Seams like if would be difficult. Whats the best way to vaccum sand without sucking it out of the tank? Have read that sand can become very compacted.

3. Source: The only affordable sand that I have been able to find has been play sand at the hardware store. I have heard that sand blasting sand is ideal, but have been unable to find any.

Thanks for your help

Frankr409
11-26-2004, 11:29 AM
All good questions about sand. I use sand over a Shultz Aquatic soil substrate, and I think that this is a perfect media for growing plants and keeping discus.

1. Once the sand is compacted, I doubt if it will suck sand up. I doubt if the sand would even move around without serious digging on your part. The discus will blow at it, but only a few grains are ever disturbed. Nevertheless, I would keep the filter intake at mid-tank for a number of other good reasons.

2. My sand is very easy to clean. I use a vortex diatom filter with an extra long hose to suck the bottom out. Ironically very little if any sand is ever sucked out. Sand can become compacted, and that is a wonderful thing in my opinion because it makes it easier to sweep up the detrious. Same principle as with a bare bottom tank.

3. Watch what you buy. Some sand can contain a certain amount of carbonate material mixed into it. It will raise the hardness of the water. Pure sand will be completely inert. Sand grains take on many different forms, some will become more compacted than others.

Your mileage may vary with this one. If this is the first time you have ever used sand, you might consider experimenting with a smaller 20 gallon aquarium until you learn all of the ins and outs. I have used sand for years though, and when it is done correctly I think it is one of the best growing mediums around.

Dave C
11-26-2004, 05:23 PM
1. Raise the intake as sand will damage your filter.

2. Cleaning is easier with sand then with gravel. The sand is such small grains that the crap in the tank will sit on top of the sand rather then getting right into it. So when you siphon you hover the pipe over the sand, careful not to suck up much. But sand is so cheap that I don't worry about removing some.

3. I get silica sand at Home Depot in Canada for under $6 for 50lbs. It's clean, requires no rinsing at all. Just pour it in your tank, with water already in or not. It does nothing to your pH and is safe for most fish. The only fish I wouldn't use silica for is stingrays.

I think the biggest risk of using sand is compacting. You should stir up every so often to avoid dead spots and anaerobic zones. It can develop bubbles of noxious gas if allowed to compact. But usually the fish and your maintenance keeps it from doing that. Over all I would much prefer sand over any other substrate.

Condor
11-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Might have to start an experiment.

-Adrian