PDA

View Full Version : Discus from Rio Petro, Maturipi, Igapo Acu??

michael1951
11-26-2004, 03:25 AM
I've been trying to find out if brown discus come from these areas and what types of corys and tetras are found there as well. Setting up a 140 planted tank and trying to be as true to form as possible. Also planning a trip to these areas and would appreciate any help on travel, excursions, snorkeling opportunites.

If brown discus are more prevalent in some other blackwater tributary of the Rio Madeira please let me know. I just know my browns are from the Rio Madeira, but don't know what part...just trying to find out about areas with high concentrations and plan to go visit!!

Thanks!!!
Michael

wildthing
11-26-2004, 09:16 AM
The Madeira is the longest Amazon tributary, about 15% of the toal Amazon discharge and is also one of the muddiest.
I don;t think many Discus actually are found in the Madeira itself, but from tributaries.
The tributaries that enter the Madeira from the East are clear/blackwater and many have discus. From the West the rivers are full of sediment , not much there...
What you are able to find will also depend very much on the time of year you go.
You should be able to find Heckels, Browns , Blues and their intermorphs, according to which particular tributary to find yourself in.
The Browns will be more brown , not golden than those further East ( Xingu Tocantins)
The most well known are the Abacaxi ( pineapple) heckls and the 'Madeira' heckel, which looks like a natural cross between a heckel and a blue.
hth
David

michael1951
11-26-2004, 11:36 PM
David,

Thanks for the information...very helpful!!

Do you think there would be a higher concentration of discus from the Canuma then, vs. the Rio Petro. I understand they the "Amazon Angel" fishing boat takes alot of fishermen up the Rio Petro, Rio Maturpiri and Lago Tacquia for large peacock bass. I thought there might be large concentrations of discus there too...I believe they're all blackwater.

Other than the Canuma, what other blackwater tributaries are there on the east side??

Do you know what types of corys and tetras come from these areas?

I've been trying to run all this down on the Internet, but seems this level of detail just isn't there. Can you recommend some resources for info like this?

Also, do you know what types of aquatic plants are common in these type blackwater areas? I understand there aren't alot in discus habitats, but that various swords might be common???

Really appreciate it David. My plan is a true to form biotope tank for brown discus...hope to enter it into next year's AGA contest. We'll see!

Michael

wildthing
11-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Fishin is still fishin
:)
you may catch a bunch..you may catch nothing at all, swearing there were no discus when they were only at the next tree
:)
I don;t think it is possible to be as specific as you want with Rios etc...there is a very good chance you may find something with an experienced fisherman to help you, depending on the water levels and what else is in the area and the vegetation ( mostly flooded trees and shrubs)
A biotope would be mostly sunken branches and driftwood.

David,

Thanks for the information...very helpful!!

Do you think there would be a higher concentration of discus from the Canuma then, vs. the Rio Petro. I understand they the "Amazon Angel" fishing boat takes alot of fishermen up the Rio Petro, Rio Maturpiri and Lago Tacquia for large peacock bass. I thought there might be large concentrations of discus there too...I believe they're all blackwater.

Other than the Canuma, what other blackwater tributaries are there on the east side??

Do you know what types of corys and tetras come from these areas?

I've been trying to run all this down on the Internet, but seems this level of detail just isn't there. Can you recommend some resources for info like this?

Also, do you know what types of aquatic plants are common in these type blackwater areas? I understand there aren't alot in discus habitats, but that various swords might be common???

Really appreciate it David. My plan is a true to form biotope tank for brown discus...hope to enter it into next year's AGA contest. We'll see!

Michael