PDA

View Full Version : filter questions

Flyboy
11-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I was wondering why many people suggest using Bio-wheel and sponge filters on discus tanks.

I have a 70 g tank that will be used as a discus tank. I already have an AC300 I would like to use. And I would like to add a canister filter to complete the filtration.

Are there any reasons NOT to use a canister and AC filter on this tank? It will be a bare bottom tank with driftwood and anubias.

RyanH
11-27-2004, 12:44 PM
My problems with canister filters are twofold:

1. They are a huge pain to keep clean... and it's of paramount importance that they are kept very clean.

2. If your power goes out for even a fairly small period of time then your nitrifying bacteria are as good as dead.

The back-hanging power filters along with internal sponge filters are the best and easiest way to go IMO.

hth!
-Ryan

ShinShin
11-27-2004, 06:57 PM
I second Ryan's twofold problem with canisters. I always seemed to neglect them, too. Sort of like out of sight, out of mind.

Mat

Anonapersona
11-27-2004, 08:25 PM
I will point out that the biowheel filter tends to leave a bit of debris in the water. I've started rinsing the biowheels in tank water as it runs out during a water change, for there is a lot of bio-slime that will end to get loose in the tank otherwise. Ideally, there would be a mechanical filter after the biowheel to catch that sluffed off bacteria, but there isn't. I make due with a HOT for mechanical filtration, sometimes micron filter, sometimes packed with Efisubstrat. I also have a sponge filter and a battery back up air pump that somes on automatically when the main power is off (~$12) so the tank always has that big sponge running, no matter what is going on.