PDA

View Full Version : Water barrels

sleepydog
11-30-2004, 11:50 PM
I have been using large garbage cans from Home Depot to store R.O. water. The problem is that they seem to eventually spring small leaks. This can be very messy.

Does anyone know where to buy large plastic barrels or water containers in the Chicago area?

I keep gagging on the shipping prices of barrels and containers from out of state.

Thank you

Dave

DiscusNoob
12-01-2004, 12:24 AM
hey, im from chicago too :D . I was told by a veteran here that chicago water is perfect. We dont need to age our water. Are u breeding discus? If so that R/O water would be awesome.

sleepydog
12-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Yes, Chicago water is just fine. I however have now moved out west to Aurora. Aurora water is usable also. Aurora has more than one source for its water supply, so seasonally the water composition changes. Out of the tap they seem pretty good at keeping the PH at 9.2 or so. However...

I am no chemist, but I can add and subtract, even do some long division now and then, and the thing about Aurora water is that I have not been able to predict accurately enough the finished quality of my water when taken directly from the tap.

With the R.O. unit I always get the same results. (As long as I watch my filters)

It may be just me, but my discus seem happier wit the R.O. water also.

If I still used Lake Michigan water I would probably not use an R.O..

P.S.

When you do buy your Juvies I would highly recomend Butch.
I think his I.D. on Simply is Chewal.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Try CocaCola or Dr Pepper. Any softdrink bottleing company has drums that contained syrup for making soda pop. They sell them cheap or gives them away.

dan

RyanH
12-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Make sure you clean these soda syrup containers out pretty thoroughly.

The ones I got for my Dad was from my local 7-UP plant. They had toxic warning labels all over them.... and we actually drink this stuff... sheesh :undecided

babyjess210
12-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Ryan
I got one from Coke and it had the same label!!!LOL No more soda for me.
Kenny

sleepydog
12-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Actually there is a Pepsi bottling plant very near by. I will stop by after work.

Does anyone know of any barrel or container companies in Illinois were brand-new containers can be bought?

Thanks for you replies!!!

Dave

RandalB
12-02-2004, 01:27 AM
How many you need Sleepydog? There is an industrial bakery near where I work that throws them away. They normally have Vinegar or Caramel coloring in them. The Caramel coloring washes right out. If you need 1 or 2 I should be able to get them for you. You just have to drive out to Burbank to get them....

LMK,
RandalB

RandalB
12-02-2004, 01:28 AM
I think those toxic labels indicate that the syrup is a corrosive (strong Acid). The last time I ran a pH meter into a diet coke it read pH 2....

RandalB

Cosmo
12-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Jehmco sells some nice water storage tanks w/ bottom bulkheads. The shipping charges are reasonable compared to most other sources I've found.. the price of the tank may make you choke though :D The vertical ones are the lowest in price since they don't need to mold in legs... still about $100 for a 65 gal though - he ships via UPS ground so added ship charge is negligable
Jim

RandalB
12-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Free or $15 each is still better for a 55 Gallon Drum IMO.... We ain't all rich in Chicago Like Jim... LOL

RandalB

tcfish
12-03-2004, 01:56 AM
If you have feed stores[ horses,cattle type,] give them a try down here they sell the 55 gallon barrels for 15.00 a pop ,and by the way coca-cola works great to clean your corroded battery terminals

JohnR
12-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Sleepydog, I have five 55 gallon barrels with a screw on top in my driveway now. They just need to be cleaned out. They had vegetables shipped in them. If you come to Palos Hills you can have them for free.
JohnR

sleepydog
01-25-2005, 12:21 AM
I would like to thank everyone who answered my post. Thanks to JohnR I was able to get two 55-gallon drums... For Free!! Thank you John. I now have both of them connected inline to a calpump torpedo pump and I can now perform water changes in half the time it used to take me, and I can watch football while the tanks fill.

I would like to thank RandalB for the offer to pick up some drums for me. Thanks for the bloodworms and filters. I hope you continue selling for a long time to come. ( I will be a customer. )

John,
Since the hour was getting pretty late when I came by to pick up the barrels,
I did not really get a chance to see your big tank. Is there any chance you could post some pictures?

Again thank you.

Dave...uh I mean Sleepydog

LeopardKing
01-25-2005, 01:43 PM
John,

I need a couple 55-gal barrel too. Do you still have them ?

thanks

steven

Steve_Warner
01-26-2005, 01:03 AM
I think those toxic labels indicate that the syrup is a corrosive (strong Acid). The last time I ran a pH meter into a diet coke it read pH 2....

RandalB

Phosphoric acid ;)

Steve_Warner
01-26-2005, 01:05 AM
and by the way coca-cola works great to clean your corroded battery terminals

..........and oxidation(rust) on a chrome bumper(just use a little tinfoil to scrub it too)........and blood from the asphalt......and........... :)

JohnR
01-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Steven,
How many do you need? I have two 45 gallon drums now, they are clean and ready but have no lids. I can get more 55's if needed.
JohnR

LeopardKing
01-31-2005, 01:38 PM
John,

Thanks a lot for the barrel ! That's great help.

I was lucky enough to see John's awsome planted discus tanks !

I wished I had a camera.

or may be John, you would be kind to share with us some pictures.