PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

DiscusNoob
12-03-2004, 02:18 AM
well i have been aging water in a 32 gallon rubbermaid container. I put an air-disk, and a submersible heater from AquariumPharmaceuticals rated for tanks that hold 40 gallons of water. I followed every single instruction and still cant get the water to stabilize to a consistant 88 degrees. Any tips?

PS: i just ordered 2, 200 watt ebo jagers for the actual fish tank once i get it.

RyanH
12-03-2004, 02:26 AM
I don't know what kind of floor you have it sitting on but a piece of styrofoam underneath it can help alot... especially if it is sitting on cold concrete or even tile. Concrete will suck the heat right out of the water.

Cosmo
12-03-2004, 01:10 PM
I have my storage tanks sitting on 1.5 inch contstruction foam for the reason Ryan cited. bought it at home depot in a 4ft X 8ft sheet... learned the hard way to cut it like you would drywall... score deeply with a razor knife, stand on one side and bend over the other side, breaks fairly evenly this way... using a saw is a real mess :D

Also, part of your problem may be circulating the water. The air is great for dispersing gases and mixing any additives you put in the tank, but will not move enough of the water to evenly distribute the heat. Try putting a powerhead into the tank and I supsect you're problem will be solved :)

Jim

RichieE
12-03-2004, 01:36 PM
If you double up the rubbermaid it will add a little insulation and act as a Safty against the side tearing. You didn't mention the obvious so i'll add it really helps if you keep it covered. Rich

Cosmo
12-03-2004, 02:42 PM
or buy the rubbermaid BRUTE cans... they ain't gonna leak :)

DiscusNoob
12-03-2004, 07:15 PM
thnx guys, i will try that. :)