PDA

View Full Version : The "Siesta" Method of algae control

Frankr409
12-06-2004, 01:30 PM
I did some research over the past several weeks to find answers to my own algae concerns in my planted tank. Like many of you, I am running a high tech tank with massive amounts of Eheim filtration, UV sterilizers, advanced lighting with timers, Automatic water changing with R/O, Automatic CO2, etc, etc, I still have algae.

The process of elimination seems to suggest lighting as the cause, either because the lighting is not in the right spectrum, or just possibly because it is used at the wrong time. One of the books I read over the weekend suggests that algae can be controlled using what is known as the "Siesta Method"

Algae is not as biologically advanced an organism when compared to plants. Plants can ramp the photosysnthesis process up or down very rapidly. Algae, however cannot.

The Siesta method is simple. Using a simple timer, set your tank to receive 5 hours of light, followed by three hours without overhead light, followed by 5 hours with light.

My system is modified a bit further so that I begin and end the day with a seperate lighting system that provides one half hour of greatly reduced light before and after the main lights go on and off.

The book I read suggests that since Algae requires stable, and not interrupted light source, that the 3 hour siesta can not only reduce further algae growth, but it can also cause existing algae die off.

Essentially you are fighting the enemy where it is weak. It's light requirements.

While lighting is not the only source of algae problems, for those of you who have eliminated other water conditions as the culprit, I think this is worthy of a try.

oodi
12-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Great info, Frank... thanks for sharing it!

Judi

:)

Stephish
12-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Sounds very interesting! If you're going to try it, perhaps you could post an update on whether it works.

Frankr409
12-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Stephish,

I will post an update. I actually began the experiment last night with a very intensive removal, by hand, of the algae that I was most interested in removing, i.e. the dark black filimentous algae.

Here is the lighting scheule for those interested.

7:30 am Very subdued halo lights on
8:00 am main lighting on
8:15 am subdued halo lighting off

12:30 pm subdued halo lighting on
1:00 pm main lighting off
1:30 subdued halo lighting off

3:30 pm subdued halo lighting on
4:00 pm main lighting returns on
4:30 subdued halo lighting off

8:30 subdued halo on
9:00 Main Lighting off
9:30 Subdued halo off

No action again until 7:30 am the next day. The Eheim feeder is coordinated to feed at times when main lighting is back on. I have noticed that this seems to stimulate agressive feeding as well from the pellet feedings.

The lighting, at least as I was able to observe it, seemed to simulate some of the days I had spent down in the tropics, where it clouds over and rain at predictable intervals.

I don't want to loose sight of the objective though , which is that the photosynthesis cycle of algae seems to be severly distrupted by changes in the constancy of available light.

I will keep you posted, as objectively as possible in this thread.

Would a member of the Simply Discus team like to sticky this note for a short while?

Mojo Trool
12-09-2004, 12:21 AM
I'd just like to point out that no matter how "high tech" a tank one has. Nothing trumps basic water chemistry 101. Remember the basics of a planted tank, light, CO2 and nutrients. All three must balance.

I'm a little confussed on what type of algae you have. Did you identify it as BBA or hair/floss algae?