PDA

View Full Version : new tank setup, what should i do.....

souk
12-06-2004, 03:28 PM
hi there,

i'm new here and would like some help. i have kept discus in the pass with out much success. i figured it was do to only having 2 of them. maybe this time with help from this forum i should be able to do better this time.

ok, here is what i have.

i'm using my old 58gal reef ready tank that is drilled on the top left. i want to ask you guys if i should use that as a drain or use it to fill up the tank when i do water changes. i was thinking of using it to fill up the tank b/c i'm placing a 20gal on the bottom of the stand and using it to age the water for the next day water change. what do you guys think...

i will be keeping 6-10 2-3"ers in that tank.

the filter that i will be using is a HOB aquaclear 300.

should be ready for fish this weekend or next week.

thanks for your time and help, souk

Craigmax
12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
As a beginner i have read you can never over-filter a tank. I have a 55 with a ac300 with prefilter and a 125 sponge filter for bio. i would get an airstone for your storage water to circulate and rid of chlorine. Hope that helps.

RyanH
12-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I agree with Craigmax in that it is impossible to over-filter a tank. I keep three hydro V sponge filters and an AC 500 on a 55 that I am growing out some wilds in. I use an AC 500 and four Hydro V's on a 75 that I'm growing out a group of domestic juvies in. It sounds like alot of filtration but it's nice if your setting up a new tank you have extra sponges to go in it. This means an instantly cycled tank.

hth!
-Ryan

Carol_Roberts
12-06-2004, 07:23 PM
I would suggest more filtration too. You can use one Aqua Clear 500 or two AC 300 or your AC 300 plus a couple of air driven sponge filters. I would do at least 20 gallon water changes everyday with juveniles.

darcy
12-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Ahhhh I've missed all the excellent advice!!!
Darcy

souk
12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
thanks for the help so far.

a tank size of 36Lx18Wx18H. if i use a aquaclear 500, is that too much flow? and what is concider to much flow? i always thought they like slow moving flow... but, what do i know...

thanks guys

Howie_W
12-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi souk,

The 500 is fine...no problem at all. Discus do not have a problem with higher flow rates. :)

Howie

souk
12-07-2004, 03:55 PM
thanks Howie_W,

what do you guys think of a wet/dry setup?

MattArmstrong
12-09-2004, 03:17 AM
Hi souk,

The 500 is fine...no problem at all. Discus do not have a problem with higher flow rates. :)

Howie, I have read elsewhere that Discus need slow moving water. E.g. http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/freshref/discuswater2.html (see the "Filter Flow Rate" section) says:

For discus, you have to be a little careful. Some of the filters on the market utilize very high water flow rates. This is not good for discus. Remember that they need slow- moving water, hence, a filter that turns the water in the tank over many times an hour is not a good thing!

And this article http://www.tropica.dk/article.asp?type=aquaristic&id=453 says:

Fast-moving water in a discus tank is not recommended. Discus tend to be slow movers and have a big "sail" area due to their round bodies. If faced with a high-current situation, they must expend a lot of energy maintaining their position.

Do we need to be careful about turbulence with high flow rates?

ed8t
12-09-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm using an AC500 with a couple of Hydro sponges in a 65 gallon and the fish aren't bothered by the current. The AC500 is at one side of the tank so they do have a "quiet" area to hang out if they choose. If anything, they seem to prefer to hang out in the fast lane but for the most part they're all over the tank and if there's food available, current or no current they'll go after it.

When you're doing your water changes, the flow coming in will probably be faster than any flow generated by filters, my fish will patiently wait at the quiet end until the deed is done.

Carol_Roberts
12-10-2004, 12:08 AM
I use Aqua clear 500 - renamed AC 110 now ;) on all my tanks - the discus don't mind moderate current as long as there is a quiet place in the tank.
I use one on 55 gallon tanks - two on 100+ gallon tanks