PDA

View Full Version : Middle support for 55gal tank?

nacra99
12-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm cooking up a plan to build a tank stand to hold 2 x 55g tanks. One on top and another below it. I'm also planning to use 2x4's for the top and bottom (horizontal) frames and 2x6's for the vertical (corner) supports.

I've seen pics of 2x4 constructed tankstands with 6 vertical supports (4 at the corners and 2 midway between the length of the stand. I'm wondering if we could just do away with the middle vertical supports and just use 4 vertical supports at the corners. Would that be enuff to hold take the weight of the 55g on top? That way another 55g can fit in the bottom without having the middle support in the way.

Any comments?

Cheers
Marc

nacra99
12-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Alrite... i guess there's only one way to find out....

wish me luck

Cosmo
12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Hey Marc...

Bummer no one responded :( I was at the point of decision last week about whether to buy a tank stand, or build one so I could fit two instead of just one... unfortunately, didn't have time to build cause fish were coming in a few days... ended up buying commercial grade metro wire shelving.. each shelf rated to 800lbs and so far ( 3 days now) no problems :) Plenty of room on the lower shelf now for another 55 or even 75..

I looked at a few plans before I dropped the building idea and am thinking you should be just fine.. the plans I saw used double 2 x 4's for the legs and cross supports but that was for a double 125..

Hope it all worked out for you

Jim

Marian
12-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Did you see this http://members.myactv.net/~twiggt/Stand/Stand.htm

Tony_S
12-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Sorry...I didnt see your question earlier.

Im always hesitant to answer these types of questions....quick answer to your question....YES!

Bit longer answer....it fully and COMPLETELY depends on your construction techniques. Hell....you could build a stand for two 55's out of 1/2" mdf if ya want....IF...AND I SAY....IF its built properly.

what is "properly"? show me a design...and I'll tell ya. There's ALOT of different variables involved.

Tony

nacra99
12-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks Jim, Tony and Marian, that was very insightful.

Yeah... i did realize that it was a dangerous question to answer.. and unless someone had prior experience, better be safe than sorry... after all, it's someone elses aquarium that's gonna go on top of the rack.

Well... I've gone out an bought a bunch of 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's. Also did a bunch of math calculations to see if it will work, and it seems pretty ok to me. (and if i'm really bored.... i'll just run an FEA anaysis on it just for fun :) ) But like Tony mentioned, really depends on the construction. I'm going to go ahead and be the guinea pig anyway... with some conservatism built into the design. Hopefully i can get some nice pics out.

Marian's link was very helpful indeed. That person made a rack for 120gal tank and had only 5 2x4's as legs!.... would make a nice sticky if it was not copyright.

Great to hear that your shelf is working out Jim... I might steal your idea and do the same in the future =)

Tony, I'll see if i can post my design here and perhaps i could get your comments? :)
Cheers
Marc