PDA

View Full Version : Wild X Domestic Bloodline

Lee C
12-13-2004, 03:43 PM
I was going to update the progress of Belem Golden Brown X Blue Diamond cross. This is the 3rd day free swimming.
This pair has gotten me rejuvinated about discus .......after almost 5 years of intensive water changes.....
I got the BD at ACA 2002 @ 2" and have had the Brown for less than a year.
Fry seem to be growing rapidly and are very robust.
If anyone has experience with this particular strain cross, please let me know.
Thanks,
Lee

monover
12-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Congratulations for your pair.The wild brown is very beautyful.

p.d.sorry,my english is very bad :D

Mike_T
12-13-2004, 04:10 PM
awesome cross! congratulations...i'd like to be put on the fry list. :)

i don't remember who bred them(someone in canada i believe), but a couple years back cary was selling some WG X BD fry. Beth raised up a group of them and they turned out to be very beautiful, unique fish. i was always sorry i never got any of those. looking forward to updates...

-miket

Lee C
12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Sure thing Mike...when they are about 2.5"
Tried to get a good pic of my Wild Blue X Stendker Rt fry...o-well.
If you look closely you can see fry on the back of domestic(Wild Blue is in the front)
I will get a better pic soon

roger
12-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Some strains lend themselves better to crossing with wilds than others do.

By that I mean the bloodlines of a domestic discus can be extremely shallow which brings both good and bad things along for the ride.

A shallow bloodline should breed pretty close to true, so long as you stay in that bloodline. That is after all how they fix certain traits/strains. They should also grow quickly and breed at a young age. There are some noted exceptions to size and age thing (namely white diamonds and albinos).

Wilds usually bring the following with them. A very deep genepool so the offspring can be extremely varied. They also tend to grow slowly and mature later, which tends to mean that if taken care of properly they dont spawn untill they get fairly large, ie you should get large spawn out of them.

The shallower a blooldine gets the faster things can be changed for good and bad.

IMO the following domestic strains are ideal for crossing with a wild.
Snake Skins, Leopards, Leopard Snakes.
IMO the following domestic strains can benefit from a cross with a wild.
Blue Diamonds, Ocean Greens, Pure Whites.
IMO the following domestic strains dont need a cross (but it never hurts :) )
Turqs, Cobalts, Pigeons

Back to the original post, crossing a blue diamond with a nice wild should produce some spectacular results, though it may take crossing f1 to f1 or f1 back to the blue diamond to really see the benifits.

Peace,
Roger

Lee C
12-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Excellent points Roger.
Notice the size difference of the fry 10 days later.
The Wild Belem Golden Brown X Malaysia Blue Diamond seem to be growng exponetially, while the Wild Blue X Stendker seem to be growing slower...tanks under same paramenters.

Lee C
12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
reference previous post:
Wild Blue X Stendker Red Turkis

roger
12-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Just a follow on about how fast discus grow.

I havent bread enough fish to say one way or another, but rumor has it that the male tends to pass on more traits than the female.

So on the two wild crosses, which sex is the domestic fish?

Peace,
Roger

Lee C
12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Roger,
Both of the domestic bred are males.
Looking at my previous posts, there is a 7 to 10 day age difference in the fry.
Also wanted to mention, the slime coat seemed to look "thickest" on the wild Brown. The Brown and the Blue Diamond were both dominant aggressive in separate community tanks.....seem to be very strong strains, so the offspring should be a superior discus. JMO

Lee C
12-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Today

Lee C
12-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Wild Blue

Lee C
12-29-2004, 04:03 PM
May have to separate from the pair soon.
Is there a "standard" amount of time before separation?

roger
12-30-2004, 10:17 AM
May have to separate from the pair soon.
Is there a "standard" amount of time before separation?

Are you wanting to seperate the fry fom the pair or seperate the the 2 adults?

Either way you should be safe to split up the family, especially with the fry being as big as they are.

Peace,
Roger

Lee C
12-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Are you wanting to seperate the fry fom the pair or seperate the the 2 adults?

Either way you should be safe to split up the family, especially with the fry being as big as they are.

Peace,
Roger

Thanks Roger,
I will net the babies and put them in a new 29...the pair has been fighting a little so maybe a separation of the 2 would be a good thing.....

Northwestcoastdisc
01-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi Lee c those fish are awesome. The offsprings are F-1 but they are very strong carry wild genes. The offsprings would be fine. You should grow out them and cross back with the parents to get more strong bloodlines.

hey Mike T are you try to get remember about me.. YES I ve lot of babies Wild Green x Blue Diamonds. The offsrpings are doing so well. They are really monster hungry fry. I can not wait to see they will turn out.

Keep up good job

cheers

Duncan

NWCD

Lee C
01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks,
You are correct about being strong and growing rapidly...ahve to get a pic for you...will you trade for some of your Green X BD?
Lee

Northwestcoastdisc
01-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Lee,

Sure I would like to trade my babies wild Green x Blue diamond. now they are near to an inch.

I would like my wild green x bd offsprings grow at 3" or bigger I will keep a dozen for myself. other rest are to sell.

I believe that they should be ready go in 2 1/2 months or early.

I will post up when I will decided to sell them.

cheers
Duncan

Lee C
01-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Heey Duncan,
I took this pic this AM...no broken or crooked bars!
BD X Wild Brown

Mike_T
01-25-2005, 04:33 PM
how many have you gotten without bars out of the batch?

just curious...

Northwestcoastdisc
01-25-2005, 05:15 PM
hi Lee,

your offsprings are looking good to me, Can you please make some photos close to your fry?

My fry are doing so well they are over 1 1/2" now. Other batch of blue diamond SS F-1 are doing so well, they are looking so GREAT.

Keep up good job Lee!!

Cheers
Duncan

Lee C
01-26-2005, 05:52 PM
hi Lee,

your offsprings are looking good to me, Can you please make some photos close to your fry?

My fry are doing so well they are over 1 1/2" now. Other batch of blue diamond SS F-1 are doing so well, they are looking so GREAT.

Keep up good job Lee!!

Cheers
Duncan

Heey Duncan,
I tried to post some close ups but files were too large...still figuring out the camera I am using. I posted some pics here>>http://discusasahobby.com/forum/index.php?topic=1891.0
Mine are also in the 1.5" mode and growing rapidly.

Mike,
I think there are some without the stress bars....have to take a closer look!
Usually I am doing tank maintenance and just casually look at the fry.
Lee

Northwestcoastdisc
01-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi Lee,

those fish are looking very nice!

Now you can see my wild Green x Blue diamonds. I can tell that Wild green Dad is very strong gentic pool. The 100% offsprings are like dad. I hope I will see they will turn out to solid green what is my goal to make them new strains.

cheers
Duncan

Northwestcoastdisc
01-29-2005, 06:15 PM
wgxbd

Lee C
02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Good job Duncan!! :hat:

Lee C
02-11-2005, 04:08 PM
:computer2