PDA

View Full Version : Need Ammonia for fishless cycle

32Bit_Fish
12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm in NYC area and could someone tell me where can I find pure Ammonia for cycling fish tank?

Pure Ammonia means no additives. My LFS doesn't have that.

Tad
12-14-2004, 10:19 PM
32bit_Fish,
Try your local supermarket, thats where I get mine

HTH,
Tad

32Bit_Fish
12-14-2004, 10:31 PM
32bit_Fish,
Try your local supermarket, thats where I get mine

HTH,
Tad

Is it liquid ammonia in a bottle? Can you tell me the exact name and brand of the product? How much is it?

Thanks.

Tad
12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Yes its a liquid, normally in a plastic bottle, no fragrance, non sudsing ammonia, I would think less than a couple of dollars for a gallon. Also some Walmarts carry ammonia...

From my experience its the cheapest ammonia available at the grocery store.

HTH,

Tad

32Bit_Fish
12-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes its a liquid, normally in a plastic bottle, no fragrance, non sudsing ammonia, I would think less than a couple of dollars for a gallon. Also some Walmarts carry ammonia...

From my experience its the cheapest ammonia available at the grocery store.

HTH,

Tad

Is Ammonia for cleaning purpose originally? What section should I go look for Ammonia in the supermarket?

Tad
12-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Yes for cleaning purposes, look in the household cleaning products section :)

From the Simply Library: http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/biology/nitrogen_cycle/fishless_cycle.shtml

Sources of Ammonia:
The most difficult part of the fishless cycling procedure, according to many postings on the message boards, involves finding a good source of Ammonia. Ammonia used should be free of surfactants, perfumes, and colourants. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to ACS grade ammonium hydroxide. Always read the ingredients on the bottle. The best sources for Pure or Clear Ammonia are discount grocery stores or hardware stores. Often, the no-name brand is the stuff you're looking for. Some other people have reported success with the following brand names of ammonia: Top Crest or Whirl Clear Ammonia. To paraphrase RTR: If it doesn't list the ingredients, or say Clear Ammonia (or Pure Ammonia or 100% Ammonia, or Pure Ammonium Hydroxide), then leave it on the shelf and look elsewhere. Shake the bottle if you're not sure about it... ammonia with surfactants will foam, while good ammonia will not.

regards,
Tad

Carol_Roberts
12-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Here is a picture of my jug from Walmart

32Bit_Fish
12-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks to Tad and Carol. I will go find it in the grocery store near me.

How about the dosage of using Ammonia? 1 drop per 10g? etc???

What do I need to be aware of once the fish tank is cycles using this type of method? such as w/c before dump the fish in? Would this type of cycling method harm the fish?

Thanks again.

jaydoc
12-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Carol,
Funny juxtaposition of the grand kids and the ammonia bottle- looks like they are smiling at the ammonia! LOL

Good lookin' younguns!
CARY

alpine
01-16-2005, 10:16 PM
I bought my two 29 gallon tanks today and stopped by the Kroger's supermarket and bought a bottle of " Clear Ammonia ". The ingridients listed are soft water,Ammonium hydroxide,Quality control Agent(s)
Says= Contains No Phosphorus.
Does it sound like the proper Ammonia ?
I read a lady's write up about Fishless Cicling and decided that would be best for me, do not want to introduce other fish to break in the cycle.

thanks ,
Roberto.

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Sounds right to me :)