PDA

View Full Version : Does the Sponge Filter produce sufficient Bacteria?

Natalia
12-18-2004, 05:41 AM
I was wondering if in a 35 Gallon Bare bottom breeding tank. a 35 gallon sponge filter is ok and will produce enought Bacteria Colonies to be able to keep up with the discus while they are spawning and after having their Fries?
Do the Bacteria colonies live only on the sponge? (since the rest of the tank is empty).
And another thing, wont it be better if i connect to the other side of the sponge filter where the water and air goes out through a small net with Bacteria ceramics so we can have another place for the colonies to produce!

Thanks for your time
Natalia :confused:

GulfCoastDiscus
12-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi Natalie,
I think bacteria resides in everypart of the tank. I have nothing but all sponge filter in all my tanks(30+) with no problems. Sponge filter requires more rinsing and you must do your daily waterchanges as with any filter.

dan

Howie_W
12-18-2004, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Natalia]I was wondering if in a 35 Gallon Bare bottom breeding tank. a 35 gallon sponge filter is ok and will produce enought Bacteria Colonies to be able to keep up with the discus while they are spawning and after having their Fries?
QUOTE]

Yep. No problem. The key is keeping your tank super clean each and every day...rinse the sponge, wipe down the glass, airlines etc. Don't leave any uneaten food, and supplement water changes by keeping fecal matter siphoned out.

Howie

aggie_67
12-18-2004, 09:25 PM
IMO wouldn't use a 30 gal sponge filter, I use the largest one a Hydro Sponge #5 in my 30's.

PaintballFan07
12-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Natalie,
I think bacteria resides in everypart of the tank. I have nothing but all sponge filter in all my tanks(30+) with no problems. Sponge filter requires more rinsing and you must do your daily waterchanges as with any filter.

dan
Hi dan, is that a San Merah on the left?

GulfCoastDiscus
12-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi Paint,

No, it's a Tomato Red

dan

ShinShin
12-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Bioload determines the amount of bacteria colonizing any particular substrate not the size of the filter (exception being if the substrate being provided is too small). Adding two 35 gal rated sponge filters will not provide you twice the biofiltration unless the bioload is that heavy. Of course, if this would be the case, then enough water changes are not being made.

SantaFeDiscus
12-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Dan-
I love that pair! ;) I have seen that pair in some of your other posts. Very Nice!
Fred

GulfCoastDiscus
12-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Thank you Fred. That pair produces like rabbits.:)

How's your breeding program coming along? Post some pics.
I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

dan&
Family

AADiscus
12-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Hey Dan, Always enjoy your posts and pics. We do get some comfort from seeing and reading your posts. YOU are more out of control than we are!! Would like to have some of those albino golds if you get them going. Give us a PM. Keep up the great work!!
Keep smiling,
Angela and Andrew

GulfCoastDiscus
12-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Thank you Angela and Andrew:)

I was thinking of expanding this coming New Year with more grow out tanks. I don't think the wife will be happy.:)

dan