PDA

View Full Version : Store Bought multi tank racking

Cosmo
12-20-2004, 09:42 PM
I recently had to get a 55 up and running for some new arrivals that were due in a couple of days.. no time to build and didn't want to buy an lfs stand that would only hold one tank... so bought a commercial grade Metro wire rack... got this one in black but have a couple chrome ones I'm planning on using soon too...

This one holds the 55 on the top w/ plenty of room for another, or a 75, on the bottom :) Each shelf holds 800 lbs so easily within limits

A friend asked for some pics, so heres' a couple

This is from the side.. a little dark (sorry) but you can see the metal pole in front of the tank... (have 3 sides of the tank covered w/ 1/2in bulletin board as insulation)

Cosmo
12-20-2004, 09:43 PM
front view.. lightened the shot up as much as I could but the bottom is still dark :(

FischAutoTechGarten
12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
I didn't know those type of stands held that much weight. Has to rival home built 2X4 stands for cost. Care to share cost and location?

john480
12-20-2004, 09:53 PM
i was just going to ask that question too

PaintballFan07
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
My dad purchased some shelves like that from Sam's Club. not sure on the cost though

Cosmo
12-20-2004, 10:21 PM
The cost is ugly :( that's the downside. With the price of steel up I would think you could build one for about half... this is 2 shelfs that are 24 X 48 and 4 73in steel poles (that I had to saw down to 70in cause of the ductwork above :( ) Got them at Ace Hardware, they're also sold at Container Store. Cost me.... 247 w/ tax :p There is a cheaper consumer version but they don't hold as much weight and I didn't want to take the chance...

Upside is.. you can adjust each shelf by the inch to fit just about anything :)

Never did build one, but I'm thinking w/ pressure treated wood, brackets and all it would run about 150 ??

Jim

john480
12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
i love your idea how about this type http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1288133&cp=1254881.1255049.1446530&page=1&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

mench
12-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Guys,go back in the archives and find my post and pics of the shelving units I got at Home Depot..$89...3 shelves..6ft long 19 In wide..or look at the post under Mench's fish room.I have 4 of these units and am going to get more..

Mench

Cosmo
12-21-2004, 12:36 AM
Hey Mench... saw those at home depot too, but around here they're 99 each.. hvy duty and look like they'd be great, except... I didn't have six feet between the house support beams it had to fit inside of, and, as I remember, they were too tall to fit under the ducting for me :( Otherwise, would have probably gone with those as well..

John.. the one in the link you posted looks like it would be fixed distances between the shelves... I could be wrong..

Jim

korbi_doc
12-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Hi guys, I'm struggling with a decision 'bout these racks. I really like'm, but will be moving next yr (I hope) & that's when I'll need'm. Sams here in NJ has the heavy duty 4 shelf unit 72" long with adjustable shelves for $99, & a similar one to Jim's with the pretty edging for $79. I don't need 4 shelves, too tall for me, but I can't find 2 shelf units. Love the idea of the heavy duty so there'll be no wt problems. I definitely only want 2 "layers" of tanks, any higher I couldn't reach easily, so maybe bottom shelf could be narrow for storage, & just cut top off like Jim did. Ron, yours look just right for me in height. If I buy them now, have to ship with the movers, but would rather wait 'til I get situated down there (Tn) hoping they'll still be available.... whatever should I do??? 'Course I really don't know how many units I'll be needing, lol, Dottie

Cosmo
12-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Dottie...

Just make sure you get the commercial grade Metro racking. They make a consumer version that looks similar, and, there's a company that imports look alikes from China too (can't remember the name)..

The consumer version and the Chinese version are only good for about 300 lbs per shelf iso 800...

Sounds like you have the same space problem I've got :(

Good luck w/ the move

Jim

bamboo
12-29-2004, 05:49 AM
I recently bought some racks at Home Depot, $85.52 WITH tax, 5-shelf gorilla rack, boltless, and can hold more than 1000 lbs per shelf, dimensions are 48"x24x72". I only used three shelves. You can also connect more on the sides to form a row. I also saw GORILLA Rack at Costco selling $70+, same dimensions I think. Its more expensive than wood, but its neat and sturdy. I think the downside is the vibrations are higher on metal than wood. Bottom line, it works for me great.

korbi_doc
12-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks Jim, I will be careful. I had figured at least 800# per shelf. These at Sam's are that & really look heavy, good price. Won't have a space problem, converting the supposed to be carport into a fish/playroom at 20x24' which should be plenty since I don't want that many tanks to play with. The house I'm buying is under construction as we type & I've already changed things around to suit me, lol, the guys down there sure don't understand, but whatever I want is ok by them, lol. I'm putting pics in another thread soon....
Bamboo, My HD does not have good shelving, & I've no ideas where a Costco is. However, when I'm ready for the move it looks like they'll be available at one of those retailers. I do really like that they'll be sturdy enough to hold the weight of big tanks, & I'm not about to build, tho I'm sure those southern gentlemen would do it for me if i paid'm....lol, Dottie

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-29-2004, 09:29 PM
I do really like that they'll be sturdy enough to hold the weight of big tanks, & I'm not about to build, tho I'm sure those southern gentlemen would do it for me if i paid'm....lol, Dottie

Just say the word Dottie and i'll make the drive to help ya set it all up! ;-)

-Ryan

korbi_doc
12-30-2004, 05:28 PM
You're on Ryan!!!! I am going to have such a hard time reining in cuz this'all be going on down there & I have to work up here. But when it's done & I can finally get away it'll all be worth it. ''Course that may be a year or more from now. The "carport" is 20'x24' & the floor with built-in drain will be tiled. Now I just have to lay it out for tanks etc... Maybe we can plan a party in the "fishroom"... Dottie

korbi_doc
01-08-2005, 06:10 PM
:D Yeah! just found out there is a Sam's club 'bout 40 miles from me. & the do have the steel shelves, same price. So, when I get ready, I can get them there!! Dottie

badmatt
01-12-2005, 07:26 PM
i wnated to try gorilla racks but im stilla alittle bit iffy onn them considering i cna build my own racks that i know cna hold up to the wieght.

Northwestcoastdisc
01-12-2005, 10:41 PM
hi everyone,

I use the steel stands are awesome! they are so easy to load, move, 6' to 8' tall shelves boards 24" by 48". i just add Plywood 24" x 48" on the shevles and no problems. The price are great.

there is many vairty shelves.

Duncan

mench
01-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Dottie I can send ya all the info on my shelves..sku numbers,who makes it ect..if ya want..then maybe your local Home Depot can order them for ya..

Mench

korbi_doc
01-20-2005, 04:31 PM
:D Thanks Ron, that may come in handy later if I have trouble finding'm. But that's a way away yet, so I'll callya when the time comes if need be. BTW how goes it with you these days? Are you going to be in Tx in July? I'm hoping to make it & touch base with y'all again too. Can ya see I'm practicing my vernacular too?? lol, ;) Dottie