PDA

View Full Version : Fish chasing every fish in the tank

lito
12-28-2004, 07:23 PM
I have a tank with 6 fish. The sizes range from 3.5" to 4.5". During feeding I usually turn off the pump until most of the food settle at the bottom of the tank. As soon as I turn on the pump the food will move to one side of the tank. My 4" fish will guard the food and chases every fish who wants to eat to the other side of the tank. The other fish is starving meanwhile the 4" fish is bloated. I have to put pickling salt everyday in the tank.

I tried putting a divider (light diffuser) in the tank during feeding but again when I turn the pump the food in the divider will move to the other side of the tank leaving the fish no food. Plus I noticed that everytime I remove the divider the fish was a little bit scared / stress.

What is the best way to do it? Is there a better way?
Thanks for your help.

Carol_Roberts
12-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Put your filter in the middle of the tank and feed on both sides. You can also add and eventually change over to an airdriven sponge filter.

Put the bully by himself on one side of the divider (1/4 of the tank). Leave the divider up for several weeks with the other fish in 3/4 of the tank.

Pickling salt (sodium chloride) does not ease constipation. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is used for contipation.

lito
12-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Hello Carol,

Thanks for letting me know the difference between the epsom salt and pickling salt.

As far as, putting the divider I will do that tomorrow as it is getting late here in the east coast.

Airdriven sponge filter is that the one with a round sponge filter connected to the airpump and bubbles comes out of the plastic pipe at the center of the sponge. I have that in the tank and pump for centralize water system. Do I have to turn off the pump on the tank and let the airdriven sponge work alone?

Again for your help.

Put your filter in the middle of the tank and feed on both sides. You can also add and eventually change over to an airdriven sponge filter.

Put the bully by himself on one side of the divider (1/4 of the tank). Leave the divider up for several weeks with the other fish in 3/4 of the tank.

Pickling salt (sodium chloride) does not ease constipation. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is used for contipation.

Carol_Roberts
12-29-2004, 12:28 AM
Many hobbyists get by with just air driven sponge filters (like you described above) in their tank. Sponge filters make less current and the food can be distributed more evenly about the tank. Perhaps the filter you have now is too big for the tank?

lito
12-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Hello Carol,

I am using the 4" diameter sponge filter. I did what you suggested, place the airdriven sponge filter at the middle of the tank and lessen the water flow from the sump pump and the food (bw) is all over the place at the bottom of the tank.
The 4" fish is still bullying the others but they have a chance to pick the food.
Right now, I haven't put the divider yet. I will put it on when it become necessary.
Since my 3 fifty gal tanks have the sponge filter maybe I should cut off the centralize watering system and use the pump for changing water instead of using a bucket.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Many hobbyists get by with just air driven sponge filters (like you described above) in their tank. Sponge filters make less current and the food can be distributed more evenly about the tank. Perhaps the filter you have now is too big for the tank?

Carol_Roberts
12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
That may be a good idea. Monitor ammonia the first week or so. Do extra water changes if you see ammonia or nitrItes.