PDA

View Full Version : CBW Question

ricmod
01-05-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm planning on starting to feed CBW, Can I use them in a planted tank?
Will they bury themselves in the sand?

Carol_Roberts
01-05-2005, 01:02 AM
I think they will bury themselves - perhaps you could use one of the hoop/worm feeder contraptions?

The Discus Shop
01-05-2005, 01:02 AM
I use to feed CBW in a heavily planted tank. If you use a worm feeder and feed sparingly, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. However, some will always end up in the gravel, and in my experience they are able to stay alive, although I'm not sure for how long.

HTH

Terrybo
01-05-2005, 01:03 AM
You can use them in a planted tank. Some will bury in the gravel, but they will be live, so will not pollute the tank. Also, if you have corys, they will root into the substrate and drag out the worms and eat them! (Looks like a robin pulling a worm out of the ground). Even my discus have started checking the gravel for worms between feedings.

Terry

ocdiscus
01-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Oh my god! I am exact same problem. I see a lot of skinny worms under my gravels, some are stict their butt up. So, I stop feeding my discus for 3 days now. I think the worms are multiplying and I am hoping the discus and loaches will start digging thru the gravels to eat. If not, how do I clean them out? or do I need to clean them out? Heavily planted. How long does these worms live?

hexed
01-07-2005, 01:50 AM
I posted this in another section so I will also post it here as well ;)

I was told that CBWs breed by breaking apart and each segment starts a new worm. Also that they do not die off unless they run out of oxygen. I would NOT stop feeding the discus with the hopes that they "might" find the worms in the gravel. If you do not want them in the tank simply and carefully vacuum them out being sure to get to the bottom of the tank, they will vacuum out very easily. Your discus will be right at the end of the vacuum ready to eat whatever they can get.
Again do not stop feeding your discus with the hopes of them "digging" the worms out, what's going to happen if they don't dig them out? When I had gravel I had the same problem but my discus cost me too much money to let starve.

Cosmo
03-06-2005, 12:37 AM
When I had gravel, mine used to stay at the end of the tube in hopes of getting a treat as well... a couple of times, they even chased worms up the vacuum tube and couldn't figure out why they couldn't eat it :D Yet another good reason to go BB... lose fewer worms to the vaccuum lol
Jim

Discus_KC
03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Clown Loaches like to burrow in the gravel for the worms.

Jack

sidra
03-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I have a planted and graveled tank and I feed CBW in the morning when my discus are extra hungry. I use two of those hoop/cone thingys-one at each end of the tank and only put a little bit in the cone at a time. When some worms start getting past my discus, I know they're just about done. The few that do drift to the bottom get scooped up immediately by my pair of Rams. Feeding this way, I have never found a blackworm in my gravel.