PDA

View Full Version : Wild Discus Prices?

psxdoctor
01-05-2005, 05:15 AM
What is the cost of the wild discus in the US? Here in Australia they cost an arm and a leg. Prices start at $250 per adult fish.

Thanks

brewmaster15
01-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Depends on the strain and the seller...... typical prices are anywheres from $40--- $150 Us dollars as the average... some go as high as $350 from what I have seen.

I'm currently looking into getting wilds to Australia.. Its complicated because of australia's QT/import policies
hth,
-al

wildthing
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
AQUIS make it hard to import any wildlife into Australia....licenced Q facilities are required.
Generally, the further away from Amazonia the more wilds will cost you, as mortality rates and freight rates correlate directly to shipping distances.
Hence wilds are often a bit cheaper in the USA, it is a large market and it is so much closer to Amazonia that freight is cheaper and survival rates are high.

psxdoctor
01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Hence wilds are often a bit cheaper in the USA

I think "a bit" is an under statement. The cheapest strain starts at $250, That is probably the $40 one mentioned above.

fishfarm
01-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi, $25 to $100 here in the South. :)

Terrybo
01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
There is a fish store just north of Houston, Texas that sells 6.5" wild browns and greens for $55. (Quantity purchases of 4 or more are only $45 each). On the other hand, their domestic discus start at $38 for 2.5" fish, and go up rapidly- a 4 1/2" domestic sells for $110 at that particular store.

Terry

SHAWN WARDLE
01-19-2005, 11:29 PM
here in utah we won't even see a wild

Huy Nguyen
01-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Terry, where exactly is north of houston, Texas? Do you know the LFS name? Where is it located?

Terrybo
01-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Here is their website http://www.fishrushouston.com. Discus prices are listed on the "miscellaneous fish" page. They also carry some nice cories and plecos. (They are near The Woodlands). I've never bought from them, so I can't provide any feedback.

Terry

Ricardo Kornelius
01-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Here in Brazil we pay U$ 10,00 to U$ 100,00 depende the quality and strain

fish_maniac
02-02-2005, 11:45 PM
What:confused: You have to pay more in Brazil for the wild discus than in the US? Am I missing something or I am reading the number wrong? That is very interesting.
A LFS here is selling a 3" orange, tefe green or red discus for $50.00 here is Austin!

Kam

fishfarm
02-03-2005, 01:22 AM
There are no orange wild discus, you sure they are wild?? Wild fish on the wholesale price list from Brazil, before you pay shipping and cover any loses, time, ect can run up to $50-60 for the sought after strains, like full royal blue, nice red spotted Tefe, Curupura, ect. Anybody seling Tefe for $50 retail is passing off regular greens for tefe. You can't buy them cheap enough to sell them for $50. Plus where the hell do they get 3" wild discus from?? Almost everyhting I import is at least 4-5". I have gotten small heckels in season right after high water, but they aren't that easy to get.

jules
02-03-2005, 07:46 AM
In Montreal, they run an average of $200 US and up.
The LFS has nice Browns for $80 Canadian, but they may be F1.

roger
02-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Im down in Florida, which is probably the closest you can get to the US importers.

Your average wild discus in the 4-6 range is probably about 40-80 depending on the strain and size.

Once you get to the higher end discus (royal blues, tefe rsg etc) the price will tripple so something like 120-240.

Just something odd that I am seeing, many of the fish that are currently available are from last seasons catch. There has a been a large number of greens and heckels showing up in the "large" category that are only 3-4 inches in size. Small fish but same big price.

Peace,
Roger

fish_maniac
02-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Ken, thank you for the info. I was thinking the same. How would they get all those small wild discus. I will go back and ask them again. I never see an orange wild discus neither on all my books but that is what they have on the name tag! I will check it out.

Thanks.

Kam

fishfarm
02-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Kam, You have to consider this is also a retail pet shop and they just go by what the supplier says, they don't have a clue as to how to keep disus or what any of the strains are called.
Roger, when I get in shipments of wilds (I directly import from SA) The fish can range form 4" to 7" in the same box and they charge you the same for all of them. It's a discus to them, whatever they catch that week is what you get. I even got one last year that looked so bad I thought it was a severum while it was still in the bag because it was so skinny. I put the poor thing out of it's misery and gave my supplier hell.

fish_maniac
02-05-2005, 02:20 AM
I stopped by the LFS today, They said those discus are "wild". I agreed with Ken that they only go by what the supplier told them. They said the Orange and red discus are brown discus but they have more orange and red color when they grow up! I am not sure what it mean? They said the Tefe is a real Tefe and it is $60.
Is there a easy ways to tell the different between a green and Tefe? The fish is only 3-4 inches. Thanks.

Kam

DISCUS USA
02-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Speaking of discus prices what happened to AL AKA BREWMASTER sent him a pm a week ago for price list and havent recieved reply.

Tad
02-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Speaking of discus prices what happened to AL AKA BREWMASTER sent him a pm a week ago for price list and havent recieved reply.
Hector,
Al advised all of us Mods that he was going to be extremely busy in the next few weeks due to work obligations. Im sure once he checks his email, IMs etc he will get ahold of you.

HTH,
Tad

Cosmo
02-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Kam,

In South America and elsewhere in the world, they use a comma instead of a period.. I think Ricardo was referring to 10.00 to 100.00 for Wilds in Brazil, if he was in fact quoting in USD.

Jim

DISCUS USA
02-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks Tad. :)

fish_maniac
02-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Jim,
Thank you for clearing thing up:D That make more sense.

BTW. Is there a easy ways to tell the different between a green and Tefe? The fish is only 3-4 inches. Is the Tefe Green better than Green or just a new strain? Any one has a picture? Thanks.

Kam

Tomsky
02-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi,

here in Germany prices vary between (excellent importer):
$ 35 (Madeira "Nova Olinda” 7cm),
$ 79(Tefe Green 14cm),
$ 399(Tefé Royal Red Spot 15cm),
$ 350 (Alenquer Curipera 9cm),
$ 750 (Lago Feliz 20cm)

Tomsky

Alfredo Llecha
02-12-2005, 03:40 AM
Here in Spain we are importing green spotted wildcaught fry to raise up. This is the first experience in the world ive seen and we believe they will act as domestics "easy-to-breed" when adults.

http://www.discossalvajes.com