PDA

View Full Version : Do discus eat little neon tetras?

Aussie_De
01-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Basically, as the topic stated.. is it possible for discus to eat small tetras. when i brought them from the shop, they said they will live fine together, however, ive just noticed, that 5 of my 10 neons are gone :( there are no bodies of dead tetras :( .

i have 3 other small guppies, and 2 albino corydoras, and the 2 discus in the tank.

is it possible that the dicsus could eat the small neons
?

regards
de

Carol_Roberts
01-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Yes, I'm sure that's what happened to them

Wahter
01-07-2005, 02:17 AM
I've had discus eat neon tetras - the discus seemed to wake up sooner, so the neons were easy pickings.

Northwestcoastdisc
01-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Yes discus love to eat neon tetra. I had 50 neon tetra next day half the next day all gone. They love to eat. That is okay.

I am sorry you lose little beauitful neon tetras. Here is so cheaper to buy neon tertas cost is 75 cent each.
50 neon teras cost me 37.50 dollars = about 28 USD dollars.

Duncan

SHAWN WARDLE
01-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I BOUGHT 100 CARDNALS AND 50 NEONS AND PUT THEM IN A SHOW TANK WITH 8 ADULT DISCUS AND KEEP WONDERING WHERE THEY WERE ALL GOING. SO ONE DAY I WATCHED FOR ABOUT A HOUR AND MY TWO LARGE MALES ATE 2 EACH. SIZES WERE 1/2" TO 3/4" LONG

VOYTEK
01-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I would rather be happy that my discus have some "good" source of live food - cuz I don't feed them with anything live ... :)

I keep some guppies and "use" them as live food ... I think it's better then constantly getting live foods from unknown sources :)

sorry u lost your fish but think about your discus rich menu ;)

bye bye

( currently I have sick discus which do not accept food very well and would be happy if they would eat ANYTHING ... )

voytek

Northwestcoastdisc
01-07-2005, 03:58 PM
I agree with VOYTEK !!!! Discus are so happy and GREAT rich menu ;)

That is natural predators as food chains which are good for discus. I would love to feed my babies discus to eat other small live fish to help them to grow so fast.

I am sorry lose beauitful cardinals and neon tetras those fish are beauitful fish.

Duncan

nacra99
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately... they love little fish. My Betta culls go into the discus tank. The go nuts over them!

Sorry about your loss... :(
Marc

discusboy777
01-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Discus will eat just about any thing that can fit in ther mouth.

they even THINK they can eat my hand.

Terrybo
01-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Many years ago, I had some guppies in a small tank, and decided to get rid of the tank, so I moved the guppies into the big discus tank, figuring that their fry would make a nice supplemental food for the discus. Those discus wouldn't touch them, and soon the tank was overrun with breeding guppies and fry. I had to net them all out and give them away!

Terry

drew22to375
01-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Yup anything that they can fit in their mouths they will eat. I use to buy those small neon tetras to feed to my firemouth chiclid since they were so cheap at the time. You might want to try and get large Cardinal Tetras. But you still might have some disappear from time to time.

Drew..

FischAutoTechGarten
01-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Large Discus will even eat small cardinals and small ottos.

Condor
01-20-2005, 10:52 AM
How big do cardinals need to be to not get eaten? What temperatures will cardinals tolerate?